[comp.periphs.scsi] Fujitsu hard disks

dwhite@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (01/24/91)

I'm thinking about buying a Fujitsu hard disk (the 778 Mb model), and
I am wondering if anyone has comments regarding Fujitsu hard disks.
i.e., are they reliable?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
		- David
  David White                  | Internet: dwhite@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   white@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::dwhite
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | Phone:    213-825-2259
  David White                  | Internet: dwhite@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   white@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::dwhite
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | Phone:    213-825-2259

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (01/24/91)

There have been much discussions at comp.sys.next about the Fujitsu M2263S
SCSI hard drive (approx. 600MB formatted). Here's my summary:

PRO:
-Good price: This hard drive can be found through mail order outlets for
unbelievably low prices! Couple months ago, it was around $1900US, and now
some claimed that they got it for less than $1600!!

CON:
-Below average performance (on the NeXT): my Micropolis 1588-15 scored a
transfer rate of greater than 1.2MB/second, similar capacity WRENs and
Miniscribes got around 900KB/second. The transfer rate was obtained using
the read function of "disk" utility supplied with the Mach operating system
on the NeXT. The Fujitsu got only around 700KB/second. This may be due
to the lack of optimization in the /etc/disktab entry.
-Very noisy: its noise level has been compared to that of the NeXT optical
drive which is pretty loud during seeks.
-Difficulties encountered in setting it up. This may differ for other
computer systems. There were much confusion over the proper jumper settings
and how to get the drive to boot.

Despite the problems and shortcomings, the Fujitsu is still the best value
around! As for me, I opted to pay several hundred extra dollars for a
Micropolis 1588-15 which is quiet, performs well, and very easy to setup.
Also keep your eyes peeled for upcoming new drives (SCSI) from Conner and
Micropolis.

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/25/91)

In article <1564@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:
>There have been much discussions at comp.sys.next about the Fujitsu M2263S
>SCSI hard drive (approx. 600MB formatted). Here's my summary:

[...]

>CON:

>-Below average performance (on the NeXT): my Micropolis 1588-15 scored a
>transfer rate of greater than 1.2MB/second, similar capacity WRENs and
>Miniscribes got around 900KB/second.

>-Difficulties encountered in setting it up. This may differ for other
>computer systems. There were much confusion over the proper jumper settings
>and how to get the drive to boot.

The performance difference might be related to both the default sector
size (512 bytes) and that I think synchronous transfers are disabled.
I suppose there is a way to reformat the drive for 1024 byte sectors
which might give some improvement.  Does anyone know if indeed
synchronous transfers are disabled when setting the jumpers in the
recommended configuration, and why?  I thought that the SCSI
controller on the NeXT supports synchronous transfers.

I'm interested because I would very much like to pick up one of these drives
for my NeXTstation.

louie

bote@csense.uucp (John Boteler) (02/03/91)

From article <1564@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca>, by jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin):
> There have been much discussions at comp.sys.next about the Fujitsu M2263S
> SCSI hard drive (approx. 600MB formatted). Here's my summary:

Well, I bought a 1.2GB Fubarco drive.

PRO: Cost was almost nothing! $2.00US!!!

CON:
- Almost no data throughput ( < 1 bit/second )
- Formatting took over 3 months
- No driver support from any vendor and no ability to
	write a device driver.

But, since it was so cheap, it's a great value!!

Really!!

--
John Boteler   bote@csense                {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703 241 BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling