[comp.periphs.scsi] MFM to SCSI?

woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher Widmann) (02/01/91)

I have just aquired a dead Dataframe 20 meg SCSI box for a Macintosh.
The drive is dead, but it is a MFM drive and has an SMS OMTI 3100 SCSI
to MFM converter card mounted in the box. I was wondering if anyone
happens to have any of the jumper settings for drive sizes and scsi id
required by this card. I would like to use it with a 40 meg or 2 20 meg
drives, and need the jumper settings so that I can set it up. Thanks.

						Chris Widmann
						woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu

--
Chris Widmann ---------------------------------------------------------------
 woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu - Rensselaer PolyTechniTortureTute

root@mmug.edgar.mn.org (Tony Austinson) (02/03/91)

In article <``#&X~$@rpi.edu> Christopher Widmann
(woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu) writes:

 > I have just aquired a dead Dataframe 20 meg SCSI box
 > for a Macintosh.
 > The drive is dead, but it is a MFM drive and has an
 > SMS OMTI 3100 SCSI
 > to MFM converter card mounted in the box. I was
 > wondering if anyone
 > happens to have any of the jumper settings for drive
 > sizes and scsi id
 > required by this card. I would like to use it with a
 > 40 meg or 2 20 meg
 > drives, and need the jumper settings so that I can set
 > it up. Thanks.

      First, are you sure it's the drive and not the power
supply? I've come across a lot of "dead" DataFrame drives
and they all had burned out power supplies, while the
controller and drive were OK.

      The next thing, the older DataFrame drives used
software to change the SCSI ID's, not jumper settings (I
don't have and DataFrames in front of me, so I can't
confirm what you have matches your description).

--
          Tony Austinson - via Minnesota Macintosh Users Group BBS
                     UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!root

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (02/04/91)

In article <``#&X~$@rpi.edu> woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher Widmann) writes:

   I have just aquired a dead Dataframe 20 meg SCSI box for a Macintosh.
   The drive is dead, but it is a MFM drive and has an SMS OMTI 3100 SCSI
   to MFM converter card mounted in the box. I was wondering if anyone
   happens to have any of the jumper settings for drive sizes and scsi id
   required by this card. I would like to use it with a 40 meg or 2 20 meg
   drives, and need the jumper settings so that I can set it up. Thanks.

I am not familiar with the 3100 but if it is similar to the 3500 then
all the setup is done through the mode-select command and not through
jumpers.

jv

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
the roof and gets stuck." -- button
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail