[comp.periphs.scsi] Adaptec 1542A and Syquest 555

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (02/05/91)

>/* ---------- "Re: Adaptec 1542A and Syquest 555" ---------- */
>In article <3250@polari.UUCP> lampi@polari.UUCP (Michael Lampi) writes:
>>>Yes, it is an adaptec driver that will support multiple controllers, assign
>>[...description of how it works...]
>>
>>I suggest a faster & more productive route would be to call the vendor who
>>sold you the controller & get the software. Adaptec won't sell it to you
>>directly unless you are a large OEM.
>
>Get the software? My vendor wants NZ$200 for it! Is any software
>supposed to come with the adaptor? (AFDISK for example)
>
>This sort of basic partitioning s/w normally comes with the adaptors
>(well it did with the other four brand I've bought). Now the Adapdec I
>bought for compatibility with Microport Unix 3.2 V2 not only cost
>twice as much but want extra for the s/w!

The software now comes with the 154x adapter in the SCSI Master Kit.
The raw adapter is also available.

>QUESTION: Has anyone got an Adaptec 1542A working with a Syquest
>Syq555 removable cartridge drive. The mechanism works with my other
>adaptors, but when I connect it to the Adaptec it doesn't even spin-up
>properly (green light never comes on). What's more it doesn't
>spin-down when you push the spin-down button necessitating turning off
>the computer to get a cartridge out. When the computer boots up I get
>the Adaptec Adaptor titles then "Host Adaptor not found at 330h". It
>says 330h even if the card is set to a different address.

The BIOS is hard coded at 0x330.  I have used SyQuest drives with any
troubles.  It sounds like a termination problem here.  I have had the
same type of problem when my bus termination was not set correctly.
I also have seen this problem when the drive ID was set to the same ID
as another drive/adapter on the SCSI bus.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese