[comp.periphs.scsi] Need help on electrical characteristics of SCSI bus

fausett@aivax.radc.af.mil (Mark L. Fausett) (02/08/91)

I'm trying to attach a CDC Wreh VI to a NeXT machine.  It formats, and reads
very nicely.  I'm getting scsi timeouts on writes though (write EVENTUALLY
succeed, but several orders of magnitude delay over reads).  I figure I've
probably screwed the termination, cable impedance or both.  Could this cause
this symptom, if so, what is the proper cable impedance, and is the termination
220 or 330 ohms (or something else??)

Thanks,

Mark Fausett
fausett@aivax.radc.af.mil

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (02/08/91)

In article <fausett.665954939@aivax> fausett@aivax.radc.af.mil (Mark L. Fausett) writes:

> ..... what is the proper cable impedance, and is the termination
>220 or 330 ohms (or something else??)

	The original recommended termination was 330 Ohms to ground
_and_ 220 Ohms to +5V; the Thevenin equivalent 130 Ohms to +3V was
also recommended.  I understand that the SCSI-2 spec includes
a third recommendation, 110 Ohms to 2.85V.  None of these
values is critical (I have heard from one manufacturer that he
plugged in all his resistor packs backward; everything worked,
and the product actually shipped that way for a while.)

	I have found that a voltmeter on each pin of the cable
gives 3V or ground on almost every pin (two pins may have +5V
terminator power).  Suspect a broken wire or faulty termination
resistor, and track it down with the VOM.

	John Whitmore