[comp.periphs.scsi] Mixing SCSI and other drive types

merusi@pwa-b.uucp (Don Merusi) (02/06/91)

Is it possible to mix MFM, RLL and SCSI drives together on the
same system. I would be interested in learning what the legal combination
are. SOme people are telling me you can only mix MFM and SCSI, and not
SCSI and RLL. If the SCSI is installed on a separate card does it make
a difference?

iverson@bang.uucp (Tim Iverson) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb5.184829.11025@pwa-b.uucp> merusi@pwa-b.uucp (Don Merusi) writes:
>Is it possible to mix MFM, RLL and SCSI drives together on the same
>system. I would be interested in learning what the legal combination are.

If I can assume you're talking about PC-clones here, then I can say that
one of nicest things about SCSI for PCs is that it mixes with *everything*.
Almost all MFM,RLL,&ESDI are just wd1003 register-set controllers; almost
all SCSI host-adapters are not 1003 compatible.  So, since they don't
fight, they live together in perfect harmony (grain of salt not included).

If you're talking about DOS here, a dumb SCSI card will give you better
performance at a lower price than one of the smarter "bus-mastering" cards -
especially if you're using windows or desqview.  If you need Unix of any
flavor, you will not be able to live without an Adaptec 1542 (or Bustek 540
- a faster adaptec clone).  This card performs very well under Unix, is
moderately priced, and all major PC-unixes support it out of the box.

>SOme people are telling me you can only mix MFM and SCSI, and not
>SCSI and RLL. If the SCSI is installed on a separate card does it make
>a difference?

I don't know of any cards that have both a 1003 style controller and a SCSI
host adapter.  You should probably plan on adding one host adapter card for
every 7 scsi devices you install.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (02/12/91)

In article <283400050@adaptx1> neese@adaptx1.UUCP writes:

>>/* ---------- "Mixing SCSI and Other Drive Types" ---------- */
>>Is it possible to mix MFM, RLL and SCSI drives together on the
>>same system.
>
>You can't mix anything on the same card. but a SCSI adapter can peacefully
>coexist with any other drive controller.  NOTE: I can only vouch for the
>154x/1640/1740 adapter from Adaptec.
I didn't try to find the source of the problem but was unable to use a
ST01 SCSI controller with a RLL controller. My assumption was that since
they both were loading a BIOS that the first one loaded was disconnected
by the second one to load.

Mike Ching