[comp.periphs.scsi] Formatting SCSI with Adaptec Contro

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (02/05/91)

>/* ---------- "Formatting SCSI with Adaptec Contro" ---------- */
>I need to know (in general) how to format a SCSI disk with an Adaptec
>1542 controller. I really don't even know how low-level formats work for
>SCSI drives...... any helpful information?

Two ways:
1) Use the internal BIOS utilities located at offset 6 (i.e. dc00:6), when
   invoked with debug from MS-DOS.

2) Use an external formatter.  A couple of available.  One off of the Adaptec
   bulletin board in CA.  And the other is available off of adaptex via
   anonymous UUCP.  It is built into SCSICNTL.

As a side note.  Remember all SCSI drives come pre-formatted from the drive
manufacturer.  Some of them, like the Quantum drives, won't format when asked
to.  Although, you can force a Quantum to format by setting the fill data
pattern bit in the unique mode page, via SCSICNTL and then issue a format
command to it and it will then format the disk.  The advantage of this on
a Quantum is it will reorder the error map and increase performance when
switching from a bad block to a good block.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese

patf@hprpcd.rose.hp.com (pat fung) (02/08/91)

    Can you post the command sequency to force the Quantum SCSI drives to
format itself? What is the bit pattern?x

    I have couple of Quantum drives that the parameter block were screw up
and telling the host funny numbers of heads and cylinders.

Thanks,

Pat Fung

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (02/10/91)

In <15450003@hprpcd.rose.hp.com> patf@hprpcd.rose.hp.com (pat fung) writes:

>    Can you post the command sequency to force the Quantum SCSI drives to
>format itself? What is the bit pattern?x

I believe the command sequence (from debug in MS-DOS) is:

g=DC00:6

Though I could be wrong...

>    I have couple of Quantum drives that the parameter block were screw up
>and telling the host funny numbers of heads and cylinders.

Ya, I know the feeling :-)

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                        -

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) (02/12/91)

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) writes:

>In <15450003@hprpcd.rose.hp.com> patf@hprpcd.rose.hp.com (pat fung) writes:

>>    Can you post the command sequency to force the Quantum SCSI drives to
>>format itself? What is the bit pattern?x

>I believe the command sequence (from debug in MS-DOS) is:

>g=DC00:6

>Though I could be wrong...

Read your host adaptec manual, this could be any number of addresses. The
default is, I think, DCOO, but there can be others.

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    xmg23356, macbrando          |