[comp.periphs.scsi] IDE hard drive controllers

spt2@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu (TARONE SCOTT P) (02/15/91)

I have an IDE drive and I heard different opinions on the quality
and performance of the drive.  I would like some information like
specs. or opinions on the controllers.  I would especially appriciate
a comparison between IDE and RLL.

	Thanks in advance
	Scott Tarone
	spt2@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (02/19/91)

In article <276@platypus.uofs.edu> spt2@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu writes:
>I have an IDE drive and I heard different opinions on the quality
>and performance of the drive.  I would like some information like
>specs. or opinions on the controllers.  I would especially appriciate
>a comparison between IDE and RLL.

IDE and RLL are not mutually exclusive.  IDE stands for Internal
Drive Electronics, which means that an ISA bus interface is just
bus buffers and a connector.  RLL has to do with the physical format
used on the disk, and the IDE interface is independant of physical
format.

Gerry Gleason