[comp.periphs.scsi] HP 97548 and 1542B problems

jeffw@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Jeff Wallace - S.E.) (02/14/91)

I am having troubles getting a HP 97548SY (663MB) disk working on
a Adaptec 1542B controller. I know the disk works (I have it on
load from my office, it works fine on a vme single-ended scsi host
adaptor).

My problem: the drive fails to start up (on the Unix box during
boot the controller starts the disk?). I'm hoping that it's just
jumper settings.

Has anyone else out there attempted this, or have have ideas?

-jeffw

kdenning@pcserver2.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (02/16/91)

In article <144713@pyramid.pyramid.com> jeffw@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Jeff Wallace - S.E.) writes:
>I am having troubles getting a HP 97548SY (663MB) disk working on
>a Adaptec 1542B controller. I know the disk works (I have it on
>load from my office, it works fine on a vme single-ended scsi host
>adaptor).
>
>My problem: the drive fails to start up (on the Unix box during
>boot the controller starts the disk?). I'm hoping that it's just
>jumper settings.

The drive is set to spin up only on receipt of a START command....

You need to find the jumper which sets it to power up on application of
power.  The Maxtors have a setting for this, I gotta believe the HPs do as
well.

This is normally set for sequenced power up so systems can manage the surge
current on the power supply better.  It can be a significant problem if you
have lots of disks and they all come online when you turn on the switch!

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning@nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.

yuping@auspex.auspex.com (YuPing Cheng) (02/19/91)

The HP 97548 Jumpers are: (Counting from the power connector)

1,2 -- Spindle synchronization
3   -- reserved
4   -- sync transfer negotiation enable
5   -- parity enable