[comp.periphs.scsi] Archive 2150s / Adaptec 1542b

court@nuge110.its.rpi.edu (Court Demas) (02/22/91)

I know there have been many questions about the Archive 2150s and Adaptec
1542b, but I feel another is neede-

It there any way to use the Archive drive without spending $225 on the
damn SY-TOS drivers?  Is it me or does that sound like an enormous amount
of money for a driver?  I can get a used 2150s for $200, and I already
bought the $300 controller - I'd hate to spend that much more money on it..

court

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (02/23/91)

In article <2F`&XB-@rpi.edu> court@nuge110.its.rpi.edu (Court Demas) writes:

>I know there have been many questions about the Archive 2150s and Adaptec
>1542b, but I feel another is neede-
>
>It there any way to use the Archive drive without spending $225 on the
>damn SY-TOS drivers?  Is it me or does that sound like an enormous amount
>of money for a driver?  I can get a used 2150s for $200, and I already
>bought the $300 controller - I'd hate to spend that much more money on it..

Boy have you got a bad dealer quote!! I bought my SYTOS application program
(it is NOT a driver, rather it is a app program that utilizes the
ASPI interface support by the ASPI4DOS.SYS driver - any program can utilize
the interface. And that is what I am doing to port tar to dos) for $62.00
from Wyle Labs. It supports streamers and 8MM. They have one for $92.oo that
supports DAT and is the SYSDOS plus (what ever that does).

Another module supports CD-ROMs by providing a CD-ROM MicroSoft Extensions
driver which also uses the ASPI interface.

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogicse,uunet}!sequent!norsk
				Internet:	norsk@sequent.com