[comp.periphs.scsi] RAID in hardware?

bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) (02/05/91)

Is anybody working on implementing RAID algorithms in hardware?  I'd
envision something like a SCSI-2 target controller, which controls N
IDE/ESDI/SCSI/? disks.  Or maybe something completely different?
--
Brad Staff
Zenith Data Systems

hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (02/11/91)

bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) writes:

|>Is anybody working on implementing RAID algorithms in hardware?  I'd
|>envision something like a SCSI-2 target controller, which controls N
|>IDE/ESDI/SCSI/? disks.  Or maybe something completely different?
|>--
|>Brad Staff
|>Zenith Data Systems
|>616-982-5791
|>bjstaff@zds-ux.zds.com

Yes.  NCR demonstrated RAID hardware at Fall COMDEX '90.  EMAIL your
FAX number and I'll send a brochure.  Or, I can put you in touch with
the product manager if you have specific questions about RAID.

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division
PHONE:316-636-8016  TELEX:417-465  FAX:316-636-8889    CALL:KA0TTY

cgn@ast.COM (Chris Nieves) (02/21/91)

In article <540@zds-ux.UUCP>, bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) writes:
> Is anybody working on implementing RAID algorithms in hardware?  I'd
> envision something like a SCSI-2 target controller, which controls N
> IDE/ESDI/SCSI/? disks.  Or maybe something completely different?
> --

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have your cpu reading data,
XORing it, and writing the parity to memory, BEFORE you even start
the disk request.  It seems best to have a SCSI (IDE?) controller
handling all of the parity generation and data correction.  This way
the OS would need to have very little knowledge that there is anything
special out there other than a real big, fast disk.

Chris Nieves
AST Research
Irvine, CA
(714) 727-8494

I'm new around here so you'll have to get my net address from the
posting.

Anyone thought about starting a new group: comp.periphs.raid???

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (02/26/91)

In <3229@legs.UUCP> cgn@ast.COM (Chris Nieves) writes:

>In article <540@zds-ux.UUCP>, bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) writes:
>> Is anybody working on implementing RAID algorithms in hardware?  I'd
>> envision something like a SCSI-2 target controller, which controls N
>> IDE/ESDI/SCSI/? disks.  Or maybe something completely different?
>> --

>It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have your cpu reading data,
>XORing it, and writing the parity to memory, BEFORE you even start
>the disk request.  It seems best to have a SCSI (IDE?) controller
>handling all of the parity generation and data correction.  This way
>the OS would need to have very little knowledge that there is anything
>special out there other than a real big, fast disk.

Sorry, I missed the original posting (it may be in the pipeline - the UK has
been cut off from the US for a few days).
Anyway, this is EXACTLY what the Dell Drive Array does. It's an EISA card
which supports up to 10 IDE drives (spindle-sync'd or not), and these can
be configured as N logical drives of up to five physical drives each, with or
without data-guarding (XOR of the data on the redundant drive). To UNIX, it
looks like an Adaptec SCSI controller. So to answer the question(s), it has
been implemented in hardware and it does just look like a big, fast hard disk.
Incidentally the hardware in question is an Intel i960 - you need something
fairly powerful !

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (02/27/91)

cgn@ast.COM (Chris Nieves) writes:

|>In article <540@zds-ux.UUCP>, bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) writes:
|>> Is anybody working on implementing RAID algorithms in hardware?  I'd

|>It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have your cpu reading data,
|>XORing it, and writing the parity to memory, BEFORE you even start
|>the disk request.  It seems best to have a SCSI (IDE?) controller
|>handling all of the parity generation and data correction.  This way
|>the OS would need to have very little knowledge that there is anything
|>special out there other than a real big, fast disk.
|>Chris Nieves
|>AST Research
|>Anyone thought about starting a new group: comp.periphs.raid???

Very interesting!  The NCR Array controller handles all the data
correction in hardware so the operating system thinks its talking
to a real big, fast, SCSI disk.  Doing RAID in software DOES make
sense, however, if your major goal with ARRAY use is data
reliability.  Cost for special hardware is reduced, but you will pay
a system performance penalty.

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division       CALL:KA0TTY
SLOWNET:3718 N. Rock Road, Wichita KS 67226-1397    CI$:76226,2760