[comp.periphs.scsi] 1542B DMA test

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (02/27/91)

mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:

>Dumb question time: to do the DMA test on an Adaptec 1542B, do you have to
>have a device attached to the controller?

you don't need any device for the test. the board simply transfers data
between the mainboard ram and it's own fifo memory.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb25.234519.6263@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca>, mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:
> Dumb question time: to do the DMA test on an Adaptec 1542B, do you have to
> have a device attached to the controller?  The reason I ask is that I just
> got the controller, but my drive is still a month or so away, and I am curious
> if I can do the DMA test anyways.
>
> Unless someone can tell me if it will work already: I have a Cheetah gold i486
> at 25 MHz.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike Hoffos

Thanks for all the replies.  Yes, you can do it.  And yes, it worked on my
machine (but only at 5.0 MHz).  Weirdly, I got mail saying that you can
slow it down to 3.3 MHz through the command sequence (in the DOS debugger)
of

-o 331 09
-o 331 FF
-q

It wouldn't work! (I got the same error as I did at the faster speeds: R/W FIFO
failed at 02000.) Strange, although I suppose that I can live with it at
5.0 MHz instead of 3.3 :-)

Mike Hoffos

PS. Any fellow Canadians know of a cheap Canadian supplier of SCSI drives?
    I really hesitate to use mail order to the states, as I have been burned
    (for $40US, at least it was a small amount) and I really don't want to
    take the risk.  (Unless, of course, there is a highly recommended place
    to deal with in the US.)
--
mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
(Mount Royal College is a community college in Calgary, Alberta)

Disclaimer:     Mount Royal College doesn't speak for me, and I *certainly*
                don't speak for it.