[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI Floppies

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (02/27/91)

I saw someone ask about SCSI 1.44Mb foppy drives.  I would like one if
someone knows a source.  I need a device with no case, just a drive.

              Thanks, Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

syswtr@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (02/28/91)

In article <83Q2020905rV01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
> I saw someone ask about SCSI 1.44Mb foppy drives.  I would like one if
> someone knows a source.  I need a device with no case, just a drive.

   DEC uses one in their 3100's, fell kinda rich today? :-)

usenet@bellcore.bellcore.com (Poster of News) (03/01/91)

Actually the DEC floppy that you can get for the DEC 3100 is pretty good.
I think we spent about $500 for it (gasp) but it included a lot of
sheet metal and mounting brackets for putting it and 2 other drives
inside the CPU cabinet.  You might be able to get just the floppy
for a more reasonable price.

The advantage of it over others (like the NCR scsi to floppy converter)
is that the DEC doesn't require a mode_select command to set it up
before data access; something to consider if you don't have the source
to the device driver.

Marc Pucci
marc@bellcore.com