[comp.periphs.scsi] Adaptec 4070 SCSI->RLL controller

lwiddif@sol.uvic.ca (03/04/91)

 I just became the owner of an Adaptec 4070 SCSI->RLL controller.

The price was right (FREE) 8-), Does anybody have any documentation
on configuring the controller. Ther is a bank of jumpers with the labels
A C E ..
B D F ..

If you have any info of know of where I can get docs for it, I would appreciate
it.

 Lionel Widdifield

 lwiddif@sol.UVic.CA

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.074158.21925@sol.UVic.CA>, lwiddif@sol.uvic.ca writes:

>  I just became the owner of an Adaptec 4070 SCSI->RLL controller.
>
> The price was right (FREE) 8-), Does anybody have any documentation
> on configuring the controller. Ther is a bank of jumpers with the labels
> A C E ..
> B D F ..
>
> If you have any info of know of where I can get docs for it, I would appreciate
> it.

You might be able to get a copy of the "ACB-4000 Series User's Manual"
directly from Adaptec, Inc., 580 Cottonwood Drive, Milpitas, CA 95035
(408)946-8600

I hope this info is still good; my manual is dated April 1986.

In order not to violate their copyright, I will summarize the jumpers (hope
this is OK legally...)

A-B  SCSI address LSB
C-D   "     "
E-F   "     "     MSB  (jumper = 1; none = 0)
G-H  DMA xfer rate     (jumper = SYSCLOCK/4; none = DATACLOCK/2)
                       try without jumper, but your host adapter may not
                       work at the max rate...
I-J  Extended commands (jumper = supports SASI commands)
K-L  not used
M-N  for drives that drop SEEK COMPLETE (Syquest 312, DMA 360), add jumper
O-P  self diagnostics  (leave jumper off)

>  Lionel Widdifield
>

>  lwiddif@sol.UVic.CA

Cheers,
Pierre Fortin       fortinp@bnr.ca         (613)763-2598

bills@xstor.com (Bill Smith) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar4.074158.21925@sol.UVic.CA> lwiddif@sol.uvic.ca writes:

> I just became the owner of an Adaptec 4070 SCSI->RLL controller.
>
>The price was right (FREE) 8-), Does anybody have any documentation
>on configuring the controller. Ther is a bank of jumpers with the labels
>A C E ..
>B D F ..
>
>If you have any info of know of where I can get docs for it, I would appreciate
>it.
>
> Lionel Widdifield
>
> lwiddif@sol.UVic.CA
Yes, there is a double row of jumpers labeled as stated. This jumper block
J5. With no jumpers on any pin, you will have an ID=0 for this controller
card. Other ID's are set as follows:
	CONTROLLER #1	A-B
	CONTROLLER #2	C-D
	CONTROLLER #3	A-B and C-D
	CONTROLLER #4	E-F
	CONTROLLER #5	E-F and A-B
	CONTROLLER #6	E-F and C-D
	CONTROLLER #7	A-B and C-D and E-F

This will give each controller a unique SCSI ID number as they are
daisy chained together. If you decide to connect multiple 4070's be
sure to remove the terminator resistors RP3 and RP4 from all but the
the last one.
In the past, I have done this so that each 4070 has the SCSI ID number
and two RLL drives connected to each 4070 would then have a LUN of
0 and 1 respectively.

     Bill Smith, UNIX Technical Support           uucp:  uunet!xstor!bills
     Storage Dimensions, Inc.