[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI controllers for 386

Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) (03/06/91)

Could someone suggest a FAST SCSI controller for the 386DX-25. I would like to
connect a large 600MB Fujitsu SCSI drive.
Plus.. It should be compatible with UNIX.

Raman

* "I believe in a God which doesn't need heavy financing.", Fletch *
* Raman Anand                                                      *
* CIS: 73767,2161                          VANCOUVER               *
* USENET: 73767.2161@compuserve.com                                *
*         a72@mindlink.uucp          BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA    *
* (604) 591-5344 (Home) - (604) 522-1137 (Work)                    *

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (03/08/91)

In article <5009@mindlink.UUCP> Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
>Could someone suggest a FAST SCSI controller for the 386DX-25. I would like to
>connect a large 600MB Fujitsu SCSI drive.
>Plus.. It should be compatible with UNIX.

I have been very pleased with the Adaptec 1542b under SCO
Unix.  Quite fast, well supported and inexpensive.  The one
caveat is that some machines (e.g.  Zenith ISA-bus
machines) can't handle the way it does bus-mastering.
N.B. - If you have an Adaptec, you just *gotta* have
SCSICNTL.EXE.  Don't leave home without it...

Ciprico has an intellegent SCSI card that looks like it
would be *very* fast, and has Unix drivers, but I've never
used it and I don't know of anyone who has.  Oh, and it
costs big $$$.
--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

norcott@databs.enet.dec.com (Bill Norcott) (03/08/91)

In article <5009@mindlink.UUCP>, Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes...
>Could someone suggest a FAST SCSI controller for the 386DX-25. I would like to
>connect a large 600MB Fujitsu SCSI drive.
>Plus.. It should be compatible with UNIX.

The Adaptec 1542B satisfies both requirements.

Bill Norcott

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (03/09/91)

Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:

>Could someone suggest a FAST SCSI controller for the 386DX-25. I would like to
>connect a large 600MB Fujitsu SCSI drive.
>Plus.. It should be compatible with UNIX.

go with the industry standard - Adaptec 1542B
--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator