[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI disk on a 3B2

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (03/12/91)

We would like to accquire a 3rd party SCSI disk, such as a Fuji, for our 3B2.
In order to use this, the System V device drivers must recognize this "foreign"
disk.  Without buying the driver from AT&T, how can we do this configuration
ourselves?

Of course, this would not be a problem if AT&T System V would just go out and
"see" who's on the bus, like a Sun does.  But, no-o-o, the kernel must know
about each disk drive.

Please send any responses to:

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Family Medicine

mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) (03/12/91)

"
"Of course, this would not be a problem if AT&T System V would just go out and
""see" who's on the bus, like a Sun does.  But, no-o-o, the kernel must know
"about each disk drive.

you can't get away without the scsi disk driver; if you're not already
running scsi disks, you'll have to get the 'scsi disk driver
utilities' disk.  you'll also have to do an /etc/scsi/edittbl and edit
/usr/lib/scsi/tc.index with the particulars for your drive.

i know exactly how it's done because i've just added 2
seagate/imprimis st2502n hh drives internally (in place of 1 fh esdi)
but i'm not sure how much detail i can legally go into...

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |

josie@cbnewsk.att.com (jack.y.gross) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar11.210006.15458@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu> dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu writes:
>We would like to accquire a 3rd party SCSI disk, such as a Fuji, for our 3B2.
>In order to use this, the System V device drivers must recognize this "foreign"
>disk.  Without buying the driver from AT&T, how can we do this configuration
>ourselves?
>
>Of course, this would not be a problem if AT&T System V would just go out and
>"see" who's on the bus, like a Sun does.  But, no-o-o, the kernel must know
>about each disk drive.
>
>Please send any responses to:
>
>Dirk Herr-Hoyman
>dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
>University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Family Medicine

It's really not that hard.

The first step is to identify the string that a SCSI inquiry to the
device provides. It can be gotten by hooking the disk up to the system
and booting. As the kernel boots it will complain about not knowing
about SCSI devices xxx. This is the reply from a SCSI inquiry.

To make the system know about it you need to run /etc/scsi/edittbl.
There are some options to this, but first run it with the -l flag.

You will see all kinds of devices listed and what you want to look for is
a device that uses the SD01 devices driver. As an example, here is the
output from one of my systems for the HP 7937S disk.

ANSC vendor and product ID:     HP      7937S
AT&T device name   :      SD01
max_lu: 0x001		tc_type: 0x001		scsi_pdtype: 0x000

All you need to do is to substitute your disk type for the HP id.

I did this for an IMPRIMIS drive. It looks like this:

ANSC vendor and product ID:     IMPRIMIS94601-15
AT&T device name   :      SD01
max_lu: 0x001		tc_type: 0x001		scsi_pdtype: 0x000

Note that there is no space between IMPRIMIS and 94601-15 because these
are really two fields when entered.

To enter information to this table you use /etc/scsi/edittbl -i. Here is
a sample input session:

# /etc/scsi/edittbl -i
SCSI edittbl utility program for /edt/SCSI/edt_data

Enter TC data

Enter device Vendor ID: IMPRIMIS
Enter Product ID: 94601-15
Enter AT&T device name: SD01
Enter TC driver type: 0x001
Enter peripheral device type: 0x000
Enter max lu supported by the driver: 0x001
Enter device Vendor ID:<^D>

The last line is looping to allow you to add more than one device. Just
hit control D to exit and update the table. Next check the table with
the -l option to be sure all went ok. You can remove stuff with the -r
option.

Next step is to edit /usr/lib/scsi/tc.index. Go to the end of the file
and copy the last two lines. Change the the first line that you copied
to reflect your drives id making sure that you do not add any spaces
or remove any. You may want to keep a backup copy of the file just in case.

You will notice that there are differences in the second line "sd0x.0"
specs for different drives. This info is used at format time and there
are differences in spces for some drives. I have been told that most
drives, with the exception of HP's should use the sd00.0 spec. These specs
are in files in /usr/lib/scsi so if you have some info on your drive
you could create a new spec for it.

Next you need to reboot so the kernel knows all about the new drive.

You should see no more messages at boot time, and when /etc/prtconf runs
you should see the new drive displayed. If the drive is already formatted
then you can start using it. If not you can use "sysadm" to format it
or better yet, /etc/format. Note that /etc/format wants you to run it
in single user mode but if you give it a -i flag it will run while the
system is up and running in multi-user. If you did format it you will
need to reboot again so the kernel can find out the size of the disk,
but if /etc/prtconf saw the disk and reported its capacity then I wouldn't
format it, which eliminates the extra reboot.

Good luck. If you have any trouble you know where to get me. By the wat,
AT&T has a set of documents and software to help integrate/diagnose
SCSI stuff on the 3B2's. Call (800)432-6600 and ask about select code
306-013 and 306-014.

			Jack Gross
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			307 Middletown Lincroft Rd.
                        Lincroft NJ 07738 (201)576-3197 att!pegasus!josie, attmail!jgross