[comp.periphs.scsi] Which controller for 386 box: Adaptec 1542B or WD7000-FASST2?

hpasanen@cs.hut.fi (Harri Pasanen) (03/12/91)

I'm unfamiliar with the latter controller. How does it compare performance /
compatibility wise with Adaptec 1542B?  What are their relative costs?

(The reason I'm asking is that I could get a used WD7000-FASST2, or a new
Adaptec).

Any recommondations?

Thank's

Harri Pasanen

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (03/14/91)

In article <HPASANEN.91Mar12104202@sauna.hut.fi> hpasanen@cs.hut.fi (Harri Pasanen) writes:

>I'm unfamiliar with the latter controller. How does it compare performance /
>compatibility wise with Adaptec 1542B?  What are their relative costs?
>
>Any recommondations?

Get the Adaptec.  Subjectively, I find it to be faster than the WD
board under SCO Unix, and the Adaptec is much better supported.  The
only reason I have any WD7000's is that I have some older 386 ISA bus
machines (Zenith) that don't like the way that the 1542's do DMA (it's
a Zenith problem, not an adaptec problem).

--
	 ken seefried iii	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu

	"If 'ya can't be with the one you love,
		   honey, love the one you're with..."

bjstaff@zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) (03/15/91)

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> Get the Adaptec.  Subjectively, I find it to be faster than the WD
> board under SCO Unix, and the Adaptec is much better supported.  The
> only reason I have any WD7000's is that I have some older 386 ISA bus
> machines (Zenith) that don't like the way that the 1542's do DMA (it's
> a Zenith problem, not an adaptec problem).

Adaptec 154x cards didn't work in the first Zenith 386/16 machines,
because of a bug in our bus mastering hardware.  This bug was fixed
in later versions of the Z386/16.  (Adaptec's DMA test will fail on
these early Z386/16s.)

The Adaptec 154x cards are tested on all Zenith 386 designs,
and are known to work, with the single exception noted above.

> 	 ken seefried iii	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu

Brad Staff
Zenith Data Systems
Systems Software Engineering