[comp.periphs.scsi] Seagate ST-01 Host Adaptor & Large Disks

news@herald.usask.ca (USENET News System) (03/13/91)

Does anyone have a software driver or other solution for using
the Seagate ST-01 Host Adaptor with a large disk (more than 1024
cylinders) and MS-DOS?

The firmware on this board does not map the drive geometry to
something that DOS can cope with, and so any cylinders > 1024 are
not accessible.

I want to connect the ST-01 to a Fujitsu M2613SA SCSI disk (135 MB).
The actual disk specs are: 1336 cyl x 6 heads x 34 sectors/trk.
I would like DOS to see something like 668 cyl x 12 heads x 34 sec/trk,
or anything similar within the DOS limits (< 1024 cyl, < 64 heads).

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alvin
Alvin Austin                                Email: austin@skorpio.USask.Ca
Department of Computational Science
(Mail) Room 1C101 Engineering Building     Office: Room 145.1 Arts Building
University of Saskatchewan              Telephone: (306) 966-4895
Saskatoon, Sask. CANADA  S7N 0W0              FAX: (306) 966-8709

austin@skorpio.USask.Ca (Alvin Austin) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.155159.17844@herald.usask.ca> austin@skorpio.USask.Ca (Alvin Austin) writes:
>Does anyone have a software driver or other solution for using
>the Seagate ST-01 Host Adaptor with a large disk (more than 1024
>cylinders) and MS-DOS?
>
>The firmware on this board does not map the drive geometry to
>something that DOS can cope with, and so any cylinders > 1024 are
>not accessible.

My ST-02 formatted a 135Meg drive to 1024 cylinders,5 heads and 53 sectors. I
would be very surprised if that was the real geometry (except for the number
of heads). Maybe a newer BIOS for the ST-01 would help.

Mike Ching