[comp.periphs.scsi] Need help interfacing Conner/DEC RZ23 SCSI HD

srwmcln@windy.dsir.govt.nz (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar2.071124.13969@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
> I am trying to "force" a Conner 3100d (DEC RZ23 SCSI) to "talk SCSI"
> with my PC's SCSI interface.  I realize that these were not the technical terms,

That little d on the 3100 may mean that the drive has custom DEC roms, that
sort of difference has been seen on other DEC drives. But I'm no expert.
Clive.

craparotta@craparotta.enet.dec.com (Joe Craparotta) (03/11/91)

In article <18848.27d82af1@windy.dsir.govt.nz>, srwmcln@windy.dsir.govt.nz writes...
>In article <1991Mar2.071124.13969@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
>> I am trying to "force" a Conner 3100d (DEC RZ23 SCSI) to "talk SCSI"
>> with my PC's SCSI interface.  I realize that these were not the technical terms,
>
>That little d on the 3100 may mean that the drive has custom DEC roms, that
>sort of difference has been seen on other DEC drives. But I'm no expert.
>Clive.

Clive,

The RZ23 Digital drive should work with no problems at all, on either a Mac
or a PC.. The problem is that the RZ's (ALL) DO NOT spin up at power up
time. You must send them a power up command. I have a program for my Mac
that will write a location in the ROM that will make it spin up at power
up.. If you have access to a Mac I can give u the program. Don't know what
to tell you for the PC though...

Joe Craparotta	Craparotta@level.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!level.dec.com!craparotta
		--or-- craparotta%level.dec@decwrl.dec.com

discalimer: The above are my Personal views and do NOT represent those of my
EMPLOYER.. They don't listen to me anyway.. :-))

amulhall@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Alison Mulhall) (03/19/91)

/ hpcupt1:comp.periphs.scsi / wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) / 11:11 pm  Mar  1, 1991 /
I am trying to "force" a Conner 3100d (DEC RZ23 SCSI) to "talk SCSI"
with my PC's SCSI interface.  I realize that these were not the technical terms,
but you get my meaning.  Although the interface in my computer works with other
SCSI drives and the HD works when attached to it's proper host's SCSI interface
apparently there are some communication "differences" between my pc SCSI and
DEC's   Would ANYONE care to "enlighten" me, so that I can fix the
problem?
  My PC is an Amiga 3000, which uses the "industry standard" SCSI that is used
on the Mac as well. ie. I have used Mac hard drives on my Amiga before.
Please e-mail any info that may be of some help.
Thank-you.

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu

norcott@databs.enet.dec.com (Bill Norcott) (03/20/91)

In article <67660001@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>, amulhall@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Alison Mulhall) writes...
>/ hpcupt1:comp.periphs.scsi / wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) / 11:11 pm  Mar  1, 1991 /
>I am trying to "force" a Conner 3100d (DEC RZ23 SCSI) to "talk SCSI"
>with my PC's SCSI interface.  I realize that these were not the technical terms,
>but you get my meaning.  Although the interface in my computer works with other
>SCSI drives and the HD works when attached to it's proper host's SCSI interface
>apparently there are some communication "differences" between my pc SCSI and
>DEC's   Would ANYONE care to "enlighten" me, so that I can fix the
>problem?
>  My PC is an Amiga 3000, which uses the "industry standard" SCSI that is used
>on the Mac as well. ie. I have used Mac hard drives on my Amiga before.

I can assure you that there are plenty of people here at Digital who use the
RZ23 with PC's, Macs and Amigas, as well as VAXstations & RISC DECstations.
The disk conforms fully to the ANSI SCSI-1 specification.

The drive is configured to NOT spin up on power up.  You have to send it a
SCSI command to cause spinup.  The drives can then be made to spin up one at
a time, eliminating power surges and thereby prolonging the life of the power
supply.  Many SCSI devices have this settable by jumpers.  For the RZ23,
this is not required since our device drivers take care of it.

The DSP bit (disable spinup at power on) is SET.  For the various types of
PCs can send a MODE SELECT command to change the setting of this bit.
Thereafter, the drive will always spin up at power on.  Somebody here wrote
a little C program to do this which works with one of the Amiga controllers.
I am a PC, not Amiga, person.  If you send me your exact configuration by
e-mail and it matches, I can contact the author here about releasing the
program.  (It's not DEC proprietary, but I didn't write the program so its
a matter of courtesy).  By the way, anyone with a SCSI spec, C compiler, and
a little free time could write a similar program for any system, its less
than a page of code.

Bill Norcott