[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI vs. SCSI-II

andrewsr@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (03/11/91)

Hello All!

What is the difference between SCSI and SCSI-II?

(My guess: SCSI is 16bit and SCSI-II is 32bit).

Is it worth it to get SCSI-II over SCSI?  How much of a price
difference are we talking about?  How much of a performance
improvement?

(NOTE: I will be plugging it into a 32bit machine and I want the
fastest (but affordable) setup).

I am considering $850 for a 210MB Quantum SCSI at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "have you ever noticed that opinion without knowledge is
\X/  Andrews |  always a shabby sort of thing?"  - Socrates

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (03/12/91)

>/* ---------- "SCSI vs. SCSI-II" ---------- */
>
>What is the difference between SCSI and SCSI-II?
>
>(My guess: SCSI is 16bit and SCSI-II is 32bit).

Nope.  SCSI-1 is 8Bit and so is SCSI-2.  SCSI-2 allows extending to
a wider bus, but it was the cable and connector are still in the air.
Should be resolved in SCSI-3.

>Is it worth it to get SCSI-II over SCSI?  How much of a price
>difference are we talking about?  How much of a performance
>improvement?

Potentially, there is performance to be had with SCSI-2.  But all the
performance *options* in SCSI-2 may not be implemented in any particular
SCSI-2 device.  FAST SCSI (i.e. > 5MBytes/sec), tag queuing and such things
are all optional in the SCSI-2 spec.  A device can be SCSI-2 and not implement
any of these types of options.  In this case, you get nothing more than a
better implementation of the SCSI command set.
One of the biggest reasons to be concerned about a SCSI-2 implementation
is in the areas other than disk drives.  It was in this area SCSI-1 failed
to deal appropriately with these devices.  This is what I get excited about
when I think of SCSI-2.  Finally, a defination for tape, CD-ROM, WORM,
magneto-optical, juke-boxes, printers, communications devices, and processors.

>(NOTE: I will be plugging it into a 32bit machine and I want the
>fastest (but affordable) setup).
>
>I am considering $850 for a 210MB Quantum SCSI at the moment.

Good choice.  Quantum has historically had one of the best implementations
of the SCSI bus/command set.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex

jlohmeye@donald.WichitaKS.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (03/25/91)

In article <Mar.10.14.46.39.1991.26822@remus.rutgers.edu> andrewsr@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:

>What is the difference between SCSI and SCSI-II?

About 400 pages :-).  A somewhat shorter answer was contained in the January
issue of Computer Technology Review.  My thanks to Dal Allan and CTR for
permission to post that article electronically:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The following article was written by Dal Allan of ENDL in April 1990.  It
was published nine months later in the January 1991 issue of "Computer
Technology Review".  While it appeared in the Tape Storage Technology
Section of CTR, the article is general in nature and tape-specific.  In
spite of the less than timely publication, most of the information is still
valid.

It is reprinted here with the permission of the author.  If you copy this
article, please include this notice giving "Computer Technology Review"
credit for first publication.

                            What's New in SCSI-2

Scuzzy is the pronunciation and SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) is
the acronym, for the best known and most widely used ANSI (American National
Standards Institute) interface.

Despite use of the term "Small" in its name, everyone has to agree that
Scuzzy is large - in use, in market impact, in influence, and unfortunately,
in documentation. The standards effort that began with a 20-page
specification in 1980 has grown to a 600 page extravaganza of technical
information.

Even before ANSI (American National Standards Institute) published the first
run of SCSI as standards document in 1986, ASC (Accredited Standards
Committee) X3T9.2 was hard at work on SCSI-2.

No technical rationale can be offered as to why SCSI-1 ended and SCSI-2
began, or as to why SCSI-2 ended and SCSI-3 began. The justification is much
more simple - you have to stop sometime and get a standard printed. Popular
interfaces never stop evolving, adapting, and expanding to meet more uses
than originally envisaged.

Interfaces even live far beyond their technological lifespan. SMD (Storage
Module Drive) has been called technically obsolete for 5 years but every
year there are more megabytes shipped on the SMD interface than the year
before. This will probably continue for another year or so before the high
point is reached, and it will at least a decade before SMD is considered to
be insignificant.

If SCSI enhancements are cut off at an arbitrary point, what initiates the
decision? Impatience is as good an answer as any. The committee and the
market get sick of promises that the revision process will "end soon," and
assert pressure to "do it now."

The SCSI-3 effort is actively under way right now, and the workload of the
committee seems to be no less than it was a year ago. What is pleasant, is
that the political pressures have eased.

There is a major difference between the standards for SCSI in 1986 and SCSI-
2 in 1990. The stated goal of compatibility between manufacturers had not
been achieved in SCSI in 1986 due to a proliferation of undocumented
"features."

Each implementation was different enough that new software drivers had to be
written for each device. OEMs defined variations in hardware that required
custom development programs and unique microcode. Out of this diversity
arose a cry for commonality that turned into CCS (Common Command Set), and
became so popular that it took on an identity of its own.

CCS defined the data structures of Mode Select and Mode Sense commands,
defect management on the Format command and error recovery procedures. CCS
succeeded because the goals were limited, the objectives clear and the time
was right.

CCS was the beginning of SCSI-2, but it was only for disks. Tape and optical
disks suffered from diversity, and so it was that the first working group
efforts on SCSI-2 were focused on tapes and optical disks. However, opening
up a new standards effort is like lifting the lid on Pandora's Box - its
hard to stay focused on a single task. SCSI-2 went far beyond extending and
consolidating CCS for multiple device types.

SCSI-2 represents three years of creative thought by some of the best minds
in the business. Many of the new features will be useful only in advanced
systems; a few will find their way into the average user's system. Some may
never appear in any useful form and will atrophy, as did some original SCSI
features like Extended Identify.

Before beginning coverage of "what's new in SCSI-2," it might be well to
list some of the things that aren't new. The silicon chips designed for SCSI
are still usable. No new features were introduced which obsolete chips. The
cause of silicon obsolescence has been rapid market shifts in integrating
functions to provide higher performance.

Similarly, initiators which were designed properly, according to SCSI in
1986, will successfully support SCSI-2 peripherals. However, it should be
pointed out that not all the initiators sold over the last few years behaved
according to the standard, and they can be "blown away "by SCSI-2 targets.

The 1986 standard allows either initiators or targets to begin negotiation
for synchronous transfers, and requires that both initiators and targets
properly handle the sequence. A surprisingly large percentage of SCSI
initiators will fail if the target begins negotiation. This has not been as
much of a problem to date as it will become in the future, and you know as
well as I do, that these non-compliant initiators are going to blame the
SCSI-2 targets for being "incompatible."

Quirks in the 1986 standard, like 4 bytes being transferred on Request
Sense, even if the requested length was zero have been corrected in SCSI-2.
Initiators which relied on this quirk instead of requesting 4 bytes will get
into trouble with a SCSI-2 target.

A sincere effort has been made to ensure that a 1986-compliant initiator
does not fail or have problems with a SCSI-2 target. If problems occur, look
for a non-compliant initiator before you blame the SCSI-2 standard.

After that little lecture, let us turn to the features you will find in
SCSI-2 which include:

 o Wide SCSI: SCSI may now transfer data at bus widths of 16 and 32 bits.
Commands, status, messages and arbitration are still 8 bits, and the B-Cable
has 68 pins for data bits. Cabling was a confusing issue in the closing days
of SCSI-2, because the first project of SCSI-3 was the definition of a 16-
bit wide P-Cable which supported 16-bit arbitration as well as 16-bit data
transfers. Although SCSI-2 does not contain a definition of the P-Cable, it
is quite possible that within the year, the P-Cable will be most popular
non-SCSI-2 feature on SCSI-2 products. The market responds to what it wants,
not the the arbitrary cutoffs of standards committees.

 o Fast SCSI: A 10 MHz transfer rate for SCSI came out of a joint effort
with the IPI (Intelligent Peripheral Interface) committee in ASC X3T9.3.
Fast SCSI achieves 10 Megabytes/second on the A-Cable and with wider data
paths of 16- and 32-bits can rise to 20 Megabytes/second and even 40
Megabytes/second. However, by the time the market starts demanding 40
Megabytes/second it is likely that the effort to serialize the physical
interface for SCSI-3 will attract high-performance SCSI users to the Fiber
Channel.

A word of caution. At this time the fast parameters cannot be met by the
Single Ended electrical class, and is only suitable for Differential. One of
the goals in SCSI-3 is to identify the improvements needed to achieve 10 MHz
operation with Single Ended components.

 o Termination: The Single Ended electrical class depends on very tight
termination tolerances, but the passive 132 ohm termination defined in 1986
is mismatched with the cable impedance (typically below 100 ohms). Although
not a problem at low speeds when only a few devices are connected,
reflections can cause errors when transfer rates increase and/or more
devices are added. In SCSI-2, an active terminator has been defined which
lowers termination to 110 ohms and is a major boost to system integrity.

 o Bus Arbitration, Parity and the Identify Message were options of SCSI,
but are required in SCSI-2. All but the earliest and most primitive SCSI
implementations had these features anyway, so SCSI-2 only legitimizes the de
facto market choices. The Identify message has been enhanced to allow the
target to execute processes, so that commands can be issued to the target
and not just the LUNs.

 o Connectors: The tab and receptacle microconnectors chosen for SCSi-2 are
available from several sources. A smaller connector was seen as essential
for the shrinking form factor of disk drives and other peripherals. This
selection was one of the most argued over and contentious decisions made
during SCSI-2 development.

 o Rotational Position Locking: A rose by any other name, this feature
defines synchronized spindles, so than an initiator can manage disk targets
which have their spindles locked in a known relative position to each other.
Synchronized disks do not all have to be at Index, they can be set to an
offset in time relative to the master drive. By arraying banks of
synchronized disks, faster transfer rates can be achieved.

 o Contingent Allegiance: This existed in SCSI-1, even though it was not
defined, and is required to prevent the corruption of error sense data.
Targets in the Contingent Allegiance state reject all commands from other
initiators until the error status is cleared by the initiator that received
the Check Condition when the error occurred.

Deferred errors were a problem in the original SCSI but were not described.
A deferred error occurs in buffered systems when the target advises Good
Status when it accepts written data into a buffer. Some time later, if
anything goes wrong when the buffer contents are being written to the media,
you have a deferred error.

 o Extended Contingent Allegiance (ECA): This extends the utility of the
Contingent Allegiance state for an indefinite period during which the
initiator that received the error can perform advanced recovery algorithms.

 o Asynchronous Event Notification (AEN): This function compensates for a
deficiency in the original SCSI which did not permit a target to advise the
initiator of asynchronous events such as a cartridge being loaded into a
tape drive.

 o Mandatory Messages: The list of mandated messages has grown:

  +----------------------+--------------------------+-------------------+
  |       Both           |       Target             |     Initiator     |
  +----------------------+--------------------------+-------------------|
  | Identify             | Abort                    | Disconnect        |
  |                      |                          |                   |
  | Message Reject       | No Operation             | Restore Pointer   |
  |                      |                          |                   |
  | Message Parity Error | Bus Device Reset         | Save Data Pointer |
  |                      |                          |                   |
  |                      | Initiator Detected Error |                   |
  +----------------------+--------------------------+-------------------+

 o Optional messages have been added to negotiate wide transfers and Tags to
support command queueing. A last-minute inclusion in SCSI-2 was the ability
to Terminate I/O and receive the residue information in Check Condition
status (so that only the incomplete part of the command need be re-started
by the initiator).

 o Command Queueing: In SCSI-1, initiators were limited to one command per
LUN e.g. a disk drive. Now up to 256 commands can be outstanding to one LUN.
The target is allowed to re-sequence the order of command execution to
optimize seek motions. Queued commands require Tag messages which follow the
Identify.

 o Disk Cacheing: Two control bits are used in the CDB (Command Descriptor
Block) to control whether the cache is accessed on a Read or Write command,
and some commands have been added to control pre-fetching and locking of
data into the cache. Users do not have to change their software to take
advantage of cacheing, however, as the Mode Select/Mode Sense Cache page
allows parameters to be set which optimize the algorithms used in the target
to maximize cache performance. Here is another area in which improvements
have already been proposed in SCSI-3, and will turn up in SCSI-2 products
shipping later this year.

 o Sense Keys and Sense Codes have been formalized and extended. A subscript
byte to the Sense Code has been added to provide specifics on the type of
error being reported. Although of little value to error recovery, the
additional information about error causes is useful to the engineer who has
to analyze failures in the field, and can be used by host systems as input
to prognostic analysis to anticipate fault conditions.

 o Commands: Many old commands have been reworked and several new commands
have been added.

 o Pages: Some method had to be found to pass parameters between host and
target, and the technique used is known as pages. The concept was introduced
in CCS and has been expanded mightily in SCSI-2.

A number of new Common Commands have been added, and the opcode space for
10-byte CDBs has been doubled.

 o Change Definition allows a SCSI-2 initiator to instruct a SCSI-2 target
to stop executing according to the 1986 standard, and provide advanced SCSI-
2 features. Most SCSI-2 targets will power on and operate according to the
1986 standard (so that there is no risk of "disturbing" the installed
initiators, and will only begin operating in SCSI-2 mode, offering access to
the advanced SCSI-2 capabilities, after being instructed to do so by the
initiator using the Change Definition command.

 o The Mode Select and Mode Sense pages which describe parameters for
operation have been greatly expanded, from practically nothing in 1986 to
hundreds of items in SCSI-2. Whenever you hear of something being described
as powerful and flexible tool, think complicated. Integrators are advised to
be judicious in their selection of the pages they decide to support.

 o the Inquiry command now provides all sorts of interesting data about the
target and its LUNs. Some of this is fixed by the standard, but the main
benefit may be in the Vendor Unique data segregated into the special
designation of Vital Product Data, which can be used by integrators as a
tool to manage the system environment.

 o Select Log and Sense Log have been added so that the initiator can gather
both historical (e.g. all Check Conditions) and statistical (e.g. number of
soft errors requiring ECC) data from the target.

 o Diagnostic capabilities have been extended on the Read/Write Buffer and
Read/Write Long commands. The ways in which the target can manage bad blocks
in the user data space have been defined further and regulated to reduce
inconsistencies in the 1986 standard. A companion capability to Read Defect
Data permits the initiator to use a standard method to be advised of drive
defect lists.

 o A new group of 12-byte command blocks has been defined for all optical
devices to support the large volume sizes and potentially large transfer
lengths. The Erase command has been added for rewritable optical disks so
that areas on the media can be pre-erased for subsequent recording. Write
Once disks need Media Scan, so that the user can find blank areas on the
media.

 o New command sets have been added for Scanners, Medium Changers, and CD
ROMs.

All of this technical detail can get boring, so how about some "goodies" in
SCSI-2 which benefit the common man and help the struggling engineer? First,
and probably the best feature in SCSI-2 is that the document has been
alphabetized. No longer do you have to embark on a hunt for the Read command
because you cannot remember the opcode.

In the 1986 standard, everything was in numeric sequence, and the only
engineers who could find things easily were the microprogrammers who had
memorized all the message and opcode tables. Now, ordinary people can find
the Read command because it is in alphabetic sequence. This reorganization
may sound like a small matter but it wasn't, it required a considerable
amount of effort on the part of the SCSI-2 editors. It was well worth it.

Another boon is the introduction for each device class of models which
describe the device class characteristics. The tape model was the most
needed, because various tape devices use the same acronym but with different
meanings or different acronyms for the same meaning.

The SCSI-2 tape model defines the terms used by SCSI-2, and how they
correspond to the acronyms of the different tapes. For example, on a 9-track
reel, End of Tape is a warning, and there is sufficient media beyond the
reflective spot to record more data and a trailer. Not so on a 1/4" tape
cartridge, End of Tape means out of media and no more data can be written.
This sort of difference in terms causes nightmares for standardization
efforts.

So there it is, a summary of what is in SCSI-2. Its not scary, although it
is daunting to imagine plowing through a 600-page document. Time for a
commercial here. The "SCSI Bench Reference" available from ENDL Publications
(408-867-6642), is a compaction of the standard. It takes the 10% of SCSI-2
which is constantly referenced by any implementor, and puts it in an easy-
to-use reference format in a small handbook. The author is Jeff Stai, one of
the earliest engineers to become involved with SCSI implementation, and a
significant contributor to the development of both the 1986 standard and
SCSI-2.

SCSI-2 is not yet published as a standard, but it will be available later
this year. Until then, the latest revision can be purchased from Global
Engineering (800-854-7179).

Biography

Consultant and analyst I. Dal Allan is the founder of ENDL and publisher of
the ENDL Letter and the "SCSI Bench Reference." A pioneer and activist in
the development and use of standard interfaces, he is Vice Chairman of ASC
X3T9.2 (SCSI) and Chairman of the SCSI-2 Common Access Method Committee.

A couple notes:  SCSI-2 is still available through Global Engineering Documents
as mentioned in the article.  The committee is revising it and expects to
have revision 10d available in May.  The CAM Committee has turned over the
CAM project to X3T9.2.  The latest version of the committee document is also
available through Global Engineering Documents.  Both of these documents
are available electronically from the SCSI BBS (see .sig, below).  And no,
I can't post them here or email them--sorry.

--
John Lohmeyer         John.Lohmeyer@WichitaKS.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!donald!jlohmeye