[comp.periphs.scsi] High Sierra and ISO 9660

sean@coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt) (03/25/91)

Can someone please point me in the right direction to find the
difference between these two standards?

Why? Well I have a CD-ROM that's been recorded (pressed?) in ISO 9660
format and a CD-ROM drive and driver that understands High Sierra (ie
Microsoft's CD-ROM Extensions on a PClone). I need to have a look at
the data on the ISO 9660 disc and had assumed that the MS CD-ROM Ext
drivers would do it, but I'm obviously wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Sean

--
------------- Sean Sebastian Batt - sean@coombs.anu.edu.au --------  .______.
-------- Coombs Computing Section - Telephone: +61 6 249 3296 -----  | Damn |\

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (03/26/91)

sean@coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt) writes:

>Can someone please point me in the right direction to find the
>difference between these two standards?

I don't think anybody's sat down and written this up for public
consumption.  Basically, High Sierra differs from ISO 9660 in the volume
descriptors, path table, and directory records (i.e. most of what the
standard and proposed standard define.)

>Why? Well I have a CD-ROM that's been recorded (pressed?) in ISO 9660
>format and a CD-ROM drive and driver that understands High Sierra (ie
>Microsoft's CD-ROM Extensions on a PClone). I need to have a look at
>the data on the ISO 9660 disc and had assumed that the MS CD-ROM Ext
>drivers would do it, but I'm obviously wrong.

>Any help appreciated.

Update to a later version of the CD-ROM extensions.  I don't know the
version number, but I know that Microsoft currently supports both High
Sierra and ISO 9660.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"