[net.space] No News is Good News

WARD@USC-ISIF.ARPA (06/29/84)

From:  Craig E. Ward <WARD@USC-ISIF.ARPA>

    Date: 25 Jun 84 12:48:00-PDT (Mon)
    To: space @ Mit-Mc.arpa
    From:
	  hplabs!sdcrdcf!sdcsvax!akgua!whuxle!spuxll!abnjh!u1100a!pyuxn!pyuxww!gamma!ulysses!allegra!alice!alb @ Ucb-Vax.arpa
    Subject: Discovery Launch Delayed

    ------------------------------

    Date: 26 Jun 84 9:52:27-PDT (Tue)
    To: space @ Mit-Mc.arpa
    From:
	  hplabs!sdcrdcf!sdcsvax!akgua!whuxle!spuxll!abnjh!u1100a!pyuxn!pyuxww!gamma!ulysses!allegra!alice!alb @ Ucb-Vax.arpa
    Subject: Post Ignition Abort

    ------------------------------

	      --------------------

The net is not a very good vehicle for distributing late breaking news.
Please, if you're not going to elaborate, don't send out yesterday's news!
(I deleted the text to save space).

		Thanks in advance,

		Craig

sxn%bbncc-washington@sri-unix.UUCP (07/02/84)

From:  Stephen X. Nahm <sxn@bbncc-washington>

Craig,

	First, you should be able to tell from the "From:" field that
these messages come from the uucp net; that net doesn't use the digest
format of info-space@mit-mc, so the messages won't have the same delay
(and for sites close to 'alice', they might even be timely :-).

	Second, even if the news is stale, I like hearing about just what
happened from those who know; the general news outlets tend to heavily
filter the information for the masses.

Glad to be of help,

Steve

WARD@USC-ISIF.ARPA (07/02/84)

From:  Craig E. Ward <WARD@USC-ISIF.ARPA>

Steve,

What net they come from isn't important.

Perhaps if I had not deleted to text you would have noticed that these
messages did not add anything to what was being reported over the
mass media.  I too enjoy hearing extra information from those who have
better sources; however, merely repeating the thirty word contents
of a radio news report will not be timely even for sites close to 'alice'
and I object to seeing it in the digest.

Craig