[comp.periphs.scsi] What's the most common SCSI Tape format?

umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) (03/23/91)

	What is the most common SCSI tape format?  I've seen numbers
like QIC-02, QIC-24, QIC-120, and QIC-150.

I might purchase an Archive 2060s, but I want to be able to write on
a tape created with the Sun 150MB tape unit we have at school on the
Sun Sparc Station 1's, and then take it home and read it.

What SCSI tape drive supports the required format, or which format
is most common in the Unix world?

Thanks for your help,
Jason

ascott@fws214.intel.com (Andy Scott ~) (03/27/91)

Bill> If you want to exchange tapes with Sun or other workstations, get the Archive
Bill> 2150S this is a 150 MB unit (I believe it can also write 250MB with extended
Bill> length tapes, can anyone confirm this?).

I have been looking into the portability idea between Work and Home
expressed the original poster. I called Maynard (subsidiary of Archive) recently,
and got a fax on the Archive Viper 2150S.
Yes, the 150MB and 250MB densities only differ by the length of tape
in the cartridge (see below).  I hope this doesn't sound like a
commercial, but I haven't seen all this info in one place before.

I also looked at some of the documentation that came with our Sparc2
tape drive yesterday.  It said that their 150MB drive could only write
in QIC-150 mode (using 18 tracks), but could read either QIC-150 or
Sun's older 9-track format (I'm not sure what QIC-format this was.)

Hope this helps,
Andy Scott

--- From Archive Datasheet for 2150S ----

Size: 5-1/4 Half-Height.
Capacity:             150MB/250MB
Transfer Rate, burst: 6.75MB/min

Cartridge Info:

Maynard    Maynard
Part #     Model #    3M Part #   Media Specifications             Capacity
_______   ________    _________   ______________________________   _________
90507      6250       DC6250      Read/Write QIC-150 and QIC-120    250MB
                                  Read QIC-24

90504      6150       DC6150      Read/Write QIC-150 and QIC-120    150MB
                                  Read-only QIC-11 and QIC-24

                      DC600A      Read/Write QIC-120                125MB
                                  Read-only QIC-11 and QIC-24

                      DC300XLP    Read QIC-11 and QIC-24             45MB
Maynard
36 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746
Sales Support: (800) 821-8782
        Phone: (407) 263-3500
          FAX: (407) 263-3585

Andrew M. Scott               Intel Corporation, M/S FM2-26
ascott@fws214.intel.com       1900 Prairie City Road
(916) 351-6369                Folsom, CA 95630, USA

dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) (03/27/91)

In article <21411@shlump.nac.dec.com>, norcott@databs.enet.dec.com (Bill Norcott) writes:

> If you want to exchange tapes with Sun or other workstations, get the Archive
> 2150S this is a 150 MB unit (I believe it can also write 250MB with extended
> length tapes, can anyone confirm this?).  In any case, the 150MB is pretty

YES! That's correct. There was speculation that the longer tapes might
generate new and different head wear patterns ang generate data recovery
errors but that's pretty much considered a non-issue any more.

> much the data interchange "standard" for SCSI, and the 2150S also handles the
> lower capacity formats.  I believe the Archive 2150S is the actual drive used
> in Suns.

2150 will READ the lower capacity formats. It WON'T WRITE the lower capacity
tapes. That's pretty standard for mass storage media. Higher capacity
formats will normally read lower capacity formats but media written on
high capacity drives is rarely readable on lower capacity drives even when
the format is fully supported as in 5 1/4" diskettes.

Tom

|  Tom Beach : Sr Project Engineer : Mass Storage Technology             |
|  phone : (503) 294-1541                                                |
|  email : uunet : dtb@adpplz.uucp                                       |
|  ADP Dealer Services, ADP Plaza, 2525 S.W. 1st Ave, Portland OR, 97201 |

sukes@eng.umd.edu (Tasuki Hirata) (03/27/91)

In article <21411@shlump.nac.dec.com> norcott@databs.enet.dec.com (Bill Norcott) writes:
>In article <1991Mar23.001346.18373@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) writes...
>>
>If you want to exchange tapes with Sun or other workstations, get the Archive
>2150S this is a 150 MB unit (I believe it can also write 250MB with extended
>length tapes, can anyone confirm this?).

yes it can.

>In any case, the 150MB is pretty
>much the data interchange "standard" for SCSI, and the 2150S also handles the
>lower capacity formats.

it can only read the lower densities and not write them reliably.
it will read/write qic-120 and qic-150 but only read qic-24.
(this is what i remember reading from the spec sheet....)

>I believe the Archive 2150S is the actual drive used
>in Suns.

archive viper 2150s with custom firmware.

--
| Tasuki Hirata (sukes@eng.umd.edu) | Intel 80486:                  |
| UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!sukes     | Power Tool for the Power Fool |

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (03/29/91)

In article <ASCOTT.91Mar26120329@fws214.intel.com> ascott@fws214.intel.com writes:
>I also looked at some of the documentation that came with our Sparc2
>tape drive yesterday.  It said that their 150MB drive could only write
>in QIC-150 mode (using 18 tracks), but could read either QIC-150 or
>Sun's older 9-track format (I'm not sure what QIC-format this was.)
>
>Hope this helps,
>Andy Scott
>
>Cartridge Info:
>
>Maynard    Maynard
>Part #     Model #    3M Part #   Media Specifications             Capacity
>_______   ________    _________   ______________________________   _________
>90507      6250       DC6250      Read/Write QIC-150 and QIC-120    250MB
>                                  Read QIC-24
>
>90504      6150       DC6150      Read/Write QIC-150 and QIC-120    150MB
>                                  Read-only QIC-11 and QIC-24
>
>                      DC600A      Read/Write QIC-120                125MB
>                                  Read-only QIC-11 and QIC-24
>
>                      DC300XLP    Read QIC-11 and QIC-24             45MB

All the cartridges are downward compatible in terms of writing.
IE, take a DC6150 cartridge and it can R/W in QIC120 and QIC24 in
the repective tape drives.

I don't know the numbers with QIC-11 density

        |               Cartridge
        |Type   | Length   | Density  | Capacity
        |       | Feet     |          |   (MB)
        DC300XLP   450       QIC-24       45
        DC615A     150       QIC-24       15
                             QIC-120      30
                             QIC-150      NA
                             QIC-525      NA
        DC600A     600       QIC-24       60
			     QIC-120      120
                             QIC-150      NA
                             QIC-525      NA
        DC6037     150       QIC-24       15
                             QIC-120      30
                             QIC-150      37
                             QIC-525      NA
        DC6150     600       QIC-24       60
                             QIC-120      120
                             QIC-150      150
                             QIC-525      NA
        DC6250     1000      QIC-24       100
                             QIC-120      200
                             QIC-150      250
                             QIC-525      NA
        DC6080     150       QIC-24       15
                             QIC-120      30
                             QIC-150      37
                             QIC-525      80
        DC6320     600       QIC-24       60
                             QIC-120      120
                             QIC-150      150
                             QIC-525      320
        DC6525     1000      QIC-24       100
                             QIC-120      200
                             QIC-150      250
                             QIC-525      525

I know is some sort of DC6xxxx cartridge for QIC-1000 that runs
about 1000 feet and hold over 1GB, but thats all I know

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogicse,uunet}!sequent!norsk
				Internet:	norsk@sequent.com