[comp.periphs.scsi] Adaptec AHA-1740 on ISC 2.2 ?

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (03/19/91)

Will the Adaptec AHA-1740 EISA SCSI host adapter run with ISC UNIX 2.2 ?
Will the AHA-1542 run in an EISA system ?
If both are true, will the AHA-1740 provide clear benefits ?

Thanks for your answers.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (03/20/91)

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

>Will the Adaptec AHA-1740 EISA SCSI host adapter run with ISC UNIX 2.2 ?
>Will the AHA-1542 run in an EISA system ?
>If both are true, will the AHA-1740 provide clear benefits ?

the 1740 has a 154[02] compatibility mode, so it should work.
the new/enhanced mode requires new drivers. it does full 32bit
DMA in both modes.

btw: there's also a 1744 which has a differential scsi bus.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

cm@jet.uucp (colin manning) (03/21/91)

In <1991Mar19.233049.24139@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:

>pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

>>Will the Adaptec AHA-1740 EISA SCSI host adapter run with ISC UNIX 2.2 ?

Does anyone know if it will also work under SCO Unix 3.2.2 ?
--
- Colin Manning, cm%jet.uucp@ukc.ac.uk (world) OR cm@jet.uucp (UK only)

------------------------------
Disclaimer: Please note that the above is a personal view and should not
be construed as an official comment from the JET project.

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (03/28/91)

>/* ---------- "Re: Adaptec AHA-1740 on ISC 2.2 ?" ---------- */
>In <1991Mar19.233049.24139@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>
>>pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>
>>>Will the Adaptec AHA-1740 EISA SCSI host adapter run with ISC UNIX 2.2 ?
>
>Does anyone know if it will also work under SCO Unix 3.2.2 ?

Yes.  It has been thoroughly bashed under SCO 3.2.2.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese

tony@ajfcal.uucp (Tony Field) (03/30/91)

neese@adaptx1.UUCP writes:

>>/* ---------- "Re: Adaptec AHA-1740 on ISC 2.2 ?" ---------- */

>>Does anyone know if it will also work under SCO Unix 3.2.2 ?

>Yes.  It has been thoroughly bashed under SCO 3.2.2.

Why does the 1740 spoof head/cylinder numbers? I have a 670 MB Hitachi
drive tied to the Adaptec. When the hard disk setup shows you the drive
configuration, it indicates 64 heads and ~630 cylinders. This looks like
a "1024 cylinder spoof" since the Hitachi drive has more than 1024
cylinders. Unfortunately, you cannot enter the drive defect table unless
you know the spoofing algorithm.

The Adaptec bios cannot be turned off - if it is turned off, it will
not run under ISC.

Is there any way to turn off the spoofing???

Other than this VERY serious configuration problem associated with (i think)
the Adapted bios, ISC unix runs the Adaptec quite nicely....

tony...

  tony%ajfcal@cpsc.ucalgary.ca

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (04/01/91)

tony@ajfcal.uucp (Tony Field) writes:
>Why does the 1740 spoof head/cylinder numbers? I have a 670 MB Hitachi
>drive tied to the Adaptec. When the hard disk setup shows you the drive
>configuration, it indicates 64 heads and ~630 cylinders. This looks like
>a "1024 cylinder spoof" since the Hitachi drive has more than 1024
>cylinders.

yep, that is for MESS-DOS, of course.

> Unfortunately, you cannot enter the drive defect table unless
>you know the spoofing algorithm.

there is no point in using the unix defect tables for scsi disks.
the drives themselves handle all that for you (although you
might have to tell them with SCSICNTL). most even reallocate
defective sectors transparently on the fly, but the block numbers
do NOT become invalid, so there's no need to tell unix.

>The Adaptec bios cannot be turned off - if it is turned off, it will
>not run under ISC.

nothing can run if it's turned off :-)

>Is there any way to turn off the spoofing???

no. just verify the drive with the bios routines to make sure.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (04/02/91)

>>>/* ---------- "Re: Adaptec AHA-1740 on ISC 2.2 ?" ---------- */

>>>Does anyone know if it will also work under SCO Unix 3.2.2 ?
>
>>Yes.  It has been thoroughly bashed under SCO 3.2.2.
>

>Why does the 1740 spoof head/cylinder numbers? I have a 670 MB Hitachi
>drive tied to the Adaptec. When the hard disk setup shows you the drive
>configuration, it indicates 64 heads and ~630 cylinders. This looks like
>a "1024 cylinder spoof" since the Hitachi drive has more than 1024
>cylinders. Unfortunately, you cannot enter the drive defect table unless
>you know the spoofing algorithm.
>
>The Adaptec bios cannot be turned off - if it is turned off, it will
>not run under ISC.
>
>Is there any way to turn off the spoofing???
>
>Other than this VERY serious configuration problem associated with (i think)
>the Adapted bios, ISC unix runs the Adaptec quite nicely....

This is not a configuration issue.
The reason you cannot turn this off, is due to the SCSI interface itself.  SCSI
presents itself as a logical block interface.  There is no cyl/head/sectors
numbers that would make any sense for the SCSI bus.  So we present the numbers
so DOS can function and OS/s that support DOS partitions to function as well.
On the defect list.  SCSI drives all appear to be error free to the OS.  They
take a bad sector and replace it with a spare on the disk.  This is done
transparently to the OS, sometimes on the fly, sometimes not, but always at
format time.