[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI controllers

iverson@bang.uucp (Tim Iverson) (02/09/91)

In article <1459@tsdiag.ccur.com> jeffp@tsdiag.ccur.com (Jeff Pelosi) writes:
>  I am considering purchasing a Scsi controller.  I would appreciate
>  getting some recommendations.  I know one person who has an Always
>  IN-2000.

Last I saw an Always board (6 months ago?), they were engaging in some very
shady practices - both engineering and marketing.  They advertised that their
board had a phenomenal transfer rate.  Well, I checked it under DOS with
CoreTest and a wimpy little seagate capable of at most 200KB/s.

Surprise, CoreTest came back with 1.2MB/s!  This is flatly impossible, they
must have been doing something fishy.  So, I dusted off soft-ice and
observed their BIOS firsthand.  Aha!  Caught in the act - they disable
*all* interrupts while transferring data.  This means the clock doesn't tick,
which means (to CoreTest) that transfers take no time at all.

It also means that your serial port can loose data while writing to disk
(like in an old PC jr.), and that other programs that depend on clock ticks
or other asynchronous interrupts won't work correctly, if at all.

Now, unless they have some *very* dumb hardware, there is no reason to do
this other than to cause an abnormally high transfer rate.  It is obviously
not a programming error - interrupts are enabled up until the transfer,
where they do a deliberate cli, followed by the transfer, followed by sti.

>  I like the price point of this controller ($189.00 at Computability).

You're kidding.  An Adaptec 1542B can't cost much more than this and I know
Future Domain TMC830s are much cheaper - a better card for DOS (especially
with windows) than the Adaptec.  For unix, you will not be able to live
without a 1542, not unless you really know what you're doing.

>Jeffrey Pelosi         Concurrent Computer Co.        Fax:201-870-5952
>jeffp@tsdiag.ccur.com  2 Cresent Place  MS117         Phone:201-870-4223

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson

BTW, now you'll be able to tell your friend why her time-of-day clock is
so slow all the time :-}.

mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) (02/11/91)

From article <1991Feb09.052143.1873@bang.uucp>, by iverson@bang.uucp (Tim Iverson):
> board had a phenomenal transfer rate.  Well, I checked it under DOS with
> CoreTest and a wimpy little seagate capable of at most 200KB/s.
>
> Surprise, CoreTest came back with 1.2MB/s!  This is flatly impossible, they
> must have been doing something fishy.

We've also acheived those rates under UNIX. (Strange how this discussion keeps
reappearing...)

>  So, I dusted off soft-ice and
> observed their BIOS firsthand.  Aha!  Caught in the act - they disable
> *all* interrupts while transferring data.  This means the clock doesn't tick,
> which means (to CoreTest) that transfers take no time at all.

That's not the case under UNIX.

> For unix, you will not be able to live
> without a 1542, not unless you really know what you're doing.

BullSh*t

     -Mike Grenier
      mike@cimcor.mn.org

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (04/09/91)

I'm looking for recommendations on a SCSI controller for a 386 ISA
bus clone.  Needs to work with both DOS/Windows and OS/2 (but not
UNIX), 16 bit ISA bus interface, and can work in conjunction
with an Adaptec HD/FD MFM controller.  Any suggestions?
Don't need on-board cache, or any really fancy features.
Just fast, compatible, and cheap.

Currently considering the Adaptec 1542B, and boards from
DTP, WD, Future Domain, and DTC.  Thanks for your help!
--
 Bill Chin                              internet: bchin@umd5.umd.edu
 MS-Windows Programmer                  NeXTmail: bchin@is-next.umd.edu