[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI LUNs

djh@crosfield.co.uk (david hollingsworth) (04/10/91)

Can anyone out there help on a point of interest ? I seem to recall that
someone on this network mentioned the fact that with SCSI-2 you could
achieve 256 LUN devices on one SCSI address by using the extended message
format. I have looked through my copy of the SCSI-2 specification and have
found no reference to extended messages and LUNs. How is this achieved ?
And is it just an 'adaptation' of SCSI ?

		Thanks,
			Dave Hollingsworth.

rwm@cup.portal.com (Richard DARYL Millett) (04/12/91)

>Can anyone out there help on a point of interest ? I seem to recall that
>someone on this network mentioned the fact that with SCSI-2 you could
>achieve 256 LUN devices on one SCSI address by using the extended message
>format. I have looked through my copy of the SCSI-2 specification and have
>found no reference to extended messages and LUNs. How is this achieved ?
>And is it just an 'adaptation' of SCSI ?
>
>                Thanks,
>                        Dave Hollingsworth.

The reference that I have found that relates to this is in the SCSI 1 manual
X3.131-1986.  It reads as follows:

Table 5-7 EXTENDED IDENTIFY
Byte |  Value | Description                                     |
 0   |  01h   | Extended Message                                |
 1   |  02h   | Extended Message Length                         |
 2   |  03h   | Extended Identify Code                          |
 3   |   x    | Sub-logical unit number                         |

        The EXTENDED IDENTIFY message (Table 5-7) is optional and may be sent
by a target or an initiator.  It may be used in conjunction with the normal
IDENTIFY message in order to expand the logical unit number addressing in a
target.  The sub-logical unit number specifies the encoded eight-bit
sub-logical unit number used to identify on of 256 sub-logical units within
the logical unit.  This allows up to 2048 units to be addressed on a single
target.

                --------------------------------------

Richard Millett
Pioneer Communications
(408) 988-1702
usenet: rwm@cup.portal.com

jlohmeye@donald.WichitaKS.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (04/15/91)

In article <9419@suns7.crosfield.co.uk> djh@crosfield.co.uk (david hollingsworth) writes:
>Can anyone out there help on a point of interest ? I seem to recall that
>someone on this network mentioned the fact that with SCSI-2 you could
>achieve 256 LUN devices on one SCSI address by using the extended message
>format. I have looked through my copy of the SCSI-2 specification and have
>found no reference to extended messages and LUNs. How is this achieved ?

EXTENDED IDENTIFY message was removed from SCSI-2 because it was poorly
documented and few people were actually using it.  In its place, stream
identifiers were added to the communications command set.  (Okay, this is
not a complete replacement.)

SCSI-3 will extend the logical unit space from 8 to 32 logical units by using
the 2 reserved bits in the IDENTIFY message.  This also means that the LUN
field in the CDB will be reserved and/or used for other functions in SCSI-3.

SCSI-3 Packetized Protocol (for Fibre Channel and other packet interfaces) will
extend the logical unit space even further (256, I think).

--
John Lohmeyer         John.Lohmeyer@WichitaKS.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!donald!jlohmeye