[comp.periphs.scsi] Maxtor, Wangtek & WD FASST 7000 problem

lemon@qut.edu.au (04/13/91)

Hello,
      I have just installed a WangTek 5150ES tape drive into a system that
contains a WD FASST 7000 ASC controler and a MAXTOR XT 4380S hard drive.
The MAXTOR is set for target ID 0 with resistor packs installed as it is at end
of cable and the wangtek is at ID 1 (no resistor packs, middle position on
cable). Also using SST drivers version 3.36.2.

The problem is that when a tape is placed in the tape unit the hard drive
makes chlunking sounds(well the same sounds it makes at power up, a reset?)
and also after reading a number of blocks from the tape unit the hard drive
does the same thing, which results in the software hanging. It also hangs
when trying to write to the tape unit, the hard drive make the same sounds.

Has anyone any idea as to what may be wrong ?

Thanks for any help,
John.

PS : the SST software reports the correct ID's for the drive's. setup is on
a 386 20Mhz, AMI bios. CHIPS chipset.
John Lemon                           _--_|\  INTERNET:
Faculty of Information Technology   /      \ lemon@qut.edu.au
Queensland University of Technology \_.--._/ lemon@snow.fit.qut.edu.au
Queensland, Australia                     v  John.Lemon@f555.n640.z3.fidonet.org
                                             BBS:
                                             Ph +61-7-372-8321 fidonet 3:640/555

bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr12.150258.26918@qut.edu.au> lemon@qut.edu.au writes:
>The problem is that when a tape is placed in the tape unit the hard drive
>makes chlunking sounds(well the same sounds it makes at power up, a reset?)
>and also after reading a number of blocks from the tape unit the hard drive
>does the same thing, which results in the software hanging. It also hangs
>when trying to write to the tape unit, the hard drive make the same sounds.

>Has anyone any idea as to what may be wrong ?

>PS : the SST software reports the correct ID's for the drive's. setup is on
>a 386 20Mhz, AMI bios. CHIPS chipset.

This sounds something like a problem I'm having with an Adaptec 1540
and SCSI tape drives.  After a little experimentation, I found that it
worked fine on Compaqs and failed in the same way (hanging on reads) on
three out of three Chips & Technologies motherboards.

I believe the problem in my case, and possibly yours, is a bug in the
C&T chipset's DMA circuitry that shorts a couple of address lines together
at a crucial time.  C&T supposedly issued an errata sheet with work arounds,
but apparently all the motherboard OEMs ignored it.

It is also possible for a busmastering adapter to work around this bug,
but apparently Adaptec did not know how or did not realize that they should.
(My company makes a busmastering graphic adapter, and our hardware guys
ran into and solved this problem, so I know it can be done.)

In a couple of days I'll try again when my new Adaptec 1522 arrives.
This card doesn't use busmastering, and I'm hopefull it will clear up
the problem.

-Brad

P.S. I haven't been able to confirm any of the above with Adaptec because
Adaptec won't talk to me ("You're not a distributor.")  Why am I taking a
chance on another Adaptec product when their tech support is so non-existant?
Because after lurking here in comp.periphs.scsi for awhile, I get the
impression their products are perceived as the safest bets.  Go figure.
                                          _________
Random drivel from the keyboard of:      |       |.|
  Brad Davis, GSS Inc, Beaverton OR      | bradd |:|
  bradd@gssc         (503) 671-8431   ___|_______|_|___       _________
Disclaimer: The boss disavows        |[]gssc| _-_  _-_ |    @|#########|
  all knowledge of my actions.       |______|__________|@@@@ +---------+

als@bohra.cpg.oz.au (Anthony Shipman) (04/18/91)

In article <6639@gssc.UUCP>, bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) writes:
> In article <1991Apr12.150258.26918@qut.edu.au> lemon@qut.edu.au writes:
> >The problem is that when a tape is placed in the tape unit the hard drive
> >makes chlunking sounds(well the same sounds it makes at power up, a reset?)
> >and also after reading a number of blocks from the tape unit the hard drive
> >does the same thing, which results in the software hanging. It also hangs
> >when trying to write to the tape unit, the hard drive make the same sounds.
>
> >Has anyone any idea as to what may be wrong ?
>
> >PS : the SST software reports the correct ID's for the drive's. setup is on
> >a 386 20Mhz, AMI bios. CHIPS chipset.
>
> This sounds something like a problem I'm having with an Adaptec 1540
> and SCSI tape drives.  After a little experimentation, I found that it
> worked fine on Compaqs and failed in the same way (hanging on reads) on
> three out of three Chips & Technologies motherboards.

My motherboard is 20MHz 386, (old)AMI BIOS, C&T chipset. I use an AHA1542B and
Archive 2150S (+Maxtor 4380S) and it all works very well.

> I believe the problem in my case, and possibly yours, is a bug in the
> C&T chipset's DMA circuitry that shorts a couple of address lines together
> at a crucial time.  C&T supposedly issued an errata sheet with work arounds,
> but apparently all the motherboard OEMs ignored it.

My motherboard is Taiwanese, some people called "Sure".  Perhaps they got it
right?

--
Anthony Shipman                 "You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Computer Power Group             Before you are six or seven or eight,

lemon@qut.edu.au (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.020832.19028@bohra.cpg.oz.au>, als@bohra.cpg.oz.au (Anthony Shipman) writes:
> In article <6639@gssc.UUCP>, bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) writes:
>> In article <1991Apr12.150258.26918@qut.edu.au> lemon@qut.edu.au writes:
>> >The problem is that when a tape is placed in the tape unit the hard drive
>> >makes chlunking sounds(well the same sounds it makes at power up, a reset?)
>> >and also after reading a number of blocks from the tape unit the hard drive
>> >does the same thing, which results in the software hanging. It also hangs
>> >when trying to write to the tape unit, the hard drive make the same sounds.
>>
>> >Has anyone any idea as to what may be wrong ?
>>
>> >PS : the SST software reports the correct ID's for the drive's. setup is on
>> >a 386 20Mhz, AMI bios. CHIPS chipset.
>>
>> This sounds something like a problem I'm having with an Adaptec 1540
>> and SCSI tape drives.  After a little experimentation, I found that it
>> worked fine on Compaqs and failed in the same way (hanging on reads) on
>> three out of three Chips & Technologies motherboards.
>
> My motherboard is 20MHz 386, (old)AMI BIOS, C&T chipset. I use an AHA1542B and
> Archive 2150S (+Maxtor 4380S) and it all works very well.

 How big is your power supply, as the problem turned out to be the drain on the
power supply when the tape unit was started up which caused a power drop
and the maxtor seeing a low power level, did a reset.

>> I believe the problem in my case, and possibly yours, is a bug in the
>> C&T chipset's DMA circuitry that shorts a couple of address lines together
>> at a crucial time.  C&T supposedly issued an errata sheet with work arounds,
>> but apparently all the motherboard OEMs ignored it.
>
> My motherboard is Taiwanese, some people called "Sure".  Perhaps they got it
> right?

 Slowing down the DMA did help a little, it was able to write a few more blocks
before hanging. The power supply was the problem, It nows works fine with the
two power supplies, at lest untill I get a 300W unit.

PS Thanks to Al Amet who hit the nail right on the head, but your message got to
   me as I was writing this reply.