[comp.periphs.scsi] Multitasking Scripts on NCR 53c710

tim@sinix.UUCP (Tim Bissell) (04/12/91)

Hello everyone,

I am looking at writing a multitasking I/O script for the NCR 53C710
SCSI processor.  In the preliminary Programmer's Guide for the 710 is
a section which describes in very broad terms the design of such a
script.  Apparently it was written long before any means of testing
the concepts were available, and as a result several of the key ideas
will not work on the 710 as shown (they might on the 720 ;-).

I have a few ideas of how to get round some of these problems, but I
would be interested to know what approaches other people have taken.

So has anyone out there written such a thing, and are they willing to share
any ideas/approaches etc. with me?  Is anyone in the process of doing
such a thing?  If so would they like to bounce ideas back and forth?

Please mail me at the address below, or one of the addresses in my
signature.

	{..uunet}!mcsun!unido!sinix!tim

Thanks in advance,

Tim

P.S. I am in the process of talking to NCR about this, but I don't think
     they will be a lot of help.  I may be wrong, but I thought it was
     worth checking out the net as well.

--
Tim Bissell		| DoD#174	best:	tim@athen.sp4n1.siemens.de
Work:+49 89 636 47366	|		hmm:ukc!uel!athen!tim
Tim Bissell		| DoD#174	best:	tim@athen.sp4n1.siemens.de
Work:+49 89 636 47366	|		hmm:ukc!uel!athen!tim
Home:+49 89 775 742	| "Is life worth living? That depends on the liver"

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/13/91)

I worked for NCR on OS/2 drivers for the 700 chip; it was not designed to work
well with Intel architectures. I explained in excruciating detail to
NCR what they needed to do to fix the design. The 710 was NCR's answer
to my suggestions. They didn't really understand what I was trying to
tell them.
	My advice is to get one of the intelligent caching SCSI
controllers that supports the WD1003 interface or forget SCSI
altogether for another 2 or 3 years.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

In article <1991Apr13.164615.1117@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>I worked for NCR on OS/2 drivers for the 700 chip; it was not designed to work
>well with Intel architectures. I explained in excruciating detail to
>NCR what they needed to do to fix the design. The 710 was NCR's answer
>to my suggestions. They didn't really understand what I was trying to
>tell them.

	Care to elaborate?  I've read the programmers docs for the 700 and 710,
and they look like really hot chips.  Particularily the reduction in # of
interrupts to be serviced by the CPU (in a multitasking environment) would
seem to be a large win.  The 710's indexing registers mean you don't have to
essentially use a code-generator to queue up operations.

	Note: I work in a 680x0 multitasking environment, since from your
comments above that's likely to affect your comparison.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/16/91)

I believe that the chips could be made to work really well with the
Intel 386/486 architecture, but I gave up trying to explain to the NCR
Colorado Springs people what they needed to do after I saw the results
of the first go-round. Especially after it became clear that the ideas
we were proposing were being incorporated into the chip being built
for the 68000 cpu, but not into our chip.
--

In article <1991Apr16.032356.25777@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>I believe that the chips could be made to work really well with the
>Intel 386/486 architecture, but I gave up trying to explain to the NCR
>Colorado Springs people what they needed to do after I saw the results
>of the first go-round. Especially after it became clear that the ideas
>we were proposing were being incorporated into the chip being built
>for the 68000 cpu, but not into our chip.

	That doesn't make sense.  The same chip is used, as I understand it -
it has a little-endian/big-endian bit, and controls for bus arbitration
for 680x0/x86.  You've made a statement - back it up.  Note that I may not
see the "problems" since I work with 680x0 machines.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/21/91)

Speaking of multi-threaded i/o with the 700 chip, have you
successfully implemented it yet?

Question: Why is disconnect/reconnect not handled in hardware by any
current SCSI chip?