[comp.periphs.scsi] EISA SCSI controllers?

solomon@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Solomon) (04/19/91)

Quick question:  is anyone aware of a 32-bit SCSI (or SCSI-2) controller
card for PC-compatibles (i.e., an EISA version of a SCSI card)?  We
are purchasing a 486 EISA machine, and we would like to take advantage
of the 32-bit bus.

Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for SCSI controllers that
would have a high throughput (even if not 32-bit)?

Thanks.

                                  Tom Solomon
                                  solomon@chaos.utexas.edu

jupakkanen@cc.helsinki.fi (04/22/91)

> Quick question:  is anyone aware of a 32-bit SCSI (or SCSI-2) controller
> card for PC-compatibles (i.e., an EISA version of a SCSI card)?  We
> are purchasing a 486 EISA machine, and we would like to take advantage
> of the 32-bit bus.
>
> Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for SCSI controllers that
> would have a high throughput (even if not 32-bit)?
>
> Thanks.
>
>                                   Tom Solomon
>                                   solomon@chaos.utexas.edu

At least Bustek and DPT have 32-bit EISA SCSI controllers. And DPT
should have a caching/mirroring/etc. model (PM2012B) available in a week
or two. I just purchased two DPT's PM2012A/95 (non-caching 32-bit EISA
SCSI(-2)) cards from Direct Drives, $599 a piece.

Jukka

piety@hplred.HP.COM (Bob Piety) (04/23/91)

A very fast SCSI card for teh EISA bus is the ADAPTEC AHA-1740.  It
offers a 1540 ("compatibility") mode for old drivers, as well as the
fast enhanced mode.

Bob          piety@hplred.hpl.hp.com      (415)857-4759

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) (04/29/91)

piety@hplred.HP.COM (Bob Piety) writes:

>A very fast SCSI card for teh EISA bus is the ADAPTEC AHA-1740.  It
>offers a 1540 ("compatibility") mode for old drivers, as well as the
>fast enhanced mode.

What is 'very fast'? In what environment?

Mylex is best EISA-SCSI controller, what I have tested, but it doesn't
fit to the OS/2-wordl, because of missing HPFS (working ones) drivers.

Adaptec 1740 works allright with OS/2 HPFS, and with SCO Unix, but
the performance is not so good, as with Mylex. I think it is mostly
because of missing HW-cache on-board.

Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.