[comp.periphs.scsi] Help! My SyQuest parks itself at will!

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (05/01/91)

About a week ago, I was using my ClubMac SyQuest (44MB removable) drive and
it started parking itself for no apparent reason.  Then the problem
mysteriously went away... Today it's happening again, I've had it on for
probably 6 hours or so and it parks itself (well, I can hear the motor
spin down and the green light blinks). Sometimes it will come back up to
speed before it spins down completely.  A few minutes ago, I noticed what
I guess is an error code being flashed after it spun down once. The code
was four consecutive short pulses of the green light followed by one puls
of the orange light. Does anyone know what this means?  I installed a SCSI
controller card in it (to interface with my Atari ST) about 9 months ago,
and it's had heavy use since then without any problems.  Can I get warrantee
service on the drive with the mod I did? I didn't play with the actual
mechanism at all, just the case.

Many thanks for any help.

PS - It just did it again and displayed 5 green, then one orange... Medic!

---jb (jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu)

cs75scv@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (David Nguyen) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.075257.15090@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>About a week ago, I was using my ClubMac SyQuest (44MB removable) drive and
>it started parking itself for no apparent reason.  Then the problem
>mysteriously went away... Today it's happening again, I've had it on for
>probably 6 hours or so and it parks itself (well, I can hear the motor
>spin down and the green light blinks). Sometimes it will come back up to
>speed before it spins down completely.  A few minutes ago, I noticed what
>I guess is an error code being flashed after it spun down once. The code
>was four consecutive short pulses of the green light followed by one puls
>of the orange light. Does anyone know what this means?  I installed a SCSI
>controller card in it (to interface with my Atari ST) about 9 months ago,
>and it's had heavy use since then without any problems.  Can I get warrantee
>service on the drive with the mod I did? I didn't play with the actual
>mechanism at all, just the case.
>
>Many thanks for any help.
>
>PS - It just did it again and displayed 5 green, then one orange... Medic!

Thanks to my trusty SyQuest manual...  I HAVE the answer!!!

4 green and 1 red means:	"Spindle motor failed to start"
5 green and 1 red means:	"Power supply failure (voltages out
				of spec)"

Seems like a power problem to me...  Check your connectors...

If you have more problems, feel free to e-mail me...

David
UCSD

Disclaimer---  blah, blah, and I don't work for SyQuest.  But I do
need a summer job.

pl@hakki.cs.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.075257.15090@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>About a week ago, I was using my ClubMac SyQuest (44MB removable) drive and
>it started parking itself for no apparent reason.  Then the problem
>mysteriously went away... Today it's happening again, I've had it on for
>probably 6 hours or so and it parks itself (well, I can hear the motor
>spin down and the green light blinks). Sometimes it will come back up to
>speed before it spins down completely.  A few minutes ago, I noticed what

	On my Amiga with QUANTUM 105S has same problems.

	Reason was loose power connector.
--

pl@cs.tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject