[comp.periphs.scsi] f

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (05/03/91)

larrys> In <980@camco.Celestial.COM>, bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill
larrys> Campbell) writes:
>I still haven't figured out why anyone would want an operating
>system divided by 2 (OS/2).  Ignorance seems the only excuse.

[... text deleted ...]

Does this discussion really belong on comp.periphs.scsi?  I see
nothing related to SCSI in this posting.

I can't resist this, if "larrys" is saying that the questions listed
below are not true of Unix, he is quite mistaken

larrys> Now, since you are inevitably going to answer, let me ask you
larrys> a few questions pertaining to Unix:

larrys> Have you ever run Unix on a foreign machine?  Can you run
larrys> programs using different languages at the same time?

Yes on the first count.  Second, what do you mean by "different
languages"?  Do you mean different source languages or different
object code, etc.  Either way, such has been done or is being done on
Unix or it's derivatives.

larrys> Have you ever been able to tell where an application abends
larrys> from the "Bus error - Core dumped" message?

Unix systems provide the needed tools to find out such information
quickly and easily.  The OS kernel should not be responsible for
telling you where a program bombed from it's error routines.  Such a
job should be handled by a user process.  The kernel should not be
loaded with everything including the kitchen sink (IMHO) :)

Besides, a core file is much handier than a simple error message at
the time the program dies.

larrys> Have you ever seen two programs written by two different
larrys> companies whose end-user-interfaces were 90% alike?

Yes, as a matter of fact I have.

[... more text deleted ...]

larrys> Cheers, Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q') LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET OS/2
larrys> Applications and Tools larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com IBM T.J.
larrys> Watson Research Center larrys@eng.clemson.edu Yorktown
larrys> Heights, NY

	Regards,
	-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc