[comp.periphs.scsi] disk arrays

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (03/12/91)

Are there any disk arrays in production (commercial) yet?
Who will be the first to offer 32-bit SCSI-2 (40 MB/sec transfer)?
What chips are available (if any) for array controllers -- I presume
this would use IPI-2 or ST-506 at the disk level(?)

(looking for faster I/O)
Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (03/14/91)

In <1991Mar12.041954.15534@neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:

>Are there any disk arrays in production (commercial) yet?
Yes - the Dell Drive Array. Support for up to 10 physical drives. Logical
drives may consist of up to 5 physical drives (with or without one drive used
for data-guarding). The drives used are IDE. The controller is an EISA
controller which emulates the Adaptec SCSI controller making the beast
usable for most OSes straightaway. If anybody wants more information please
mail to info@uudell.dell.com.
>Who will be the first to offer 32-bit SCSI-2 (40 MB/sec transfer)?
Good question ! If you find out - please post.
>What chips are available (if any) for array controllers -- I presume
>this would use IPI-2 or ST-506 at the disk level(?)
The Dell controller uses an Intel i960 with 512k rom at the heart. As to
the rest, you'd best ask Dell US since they designed it and I didn't :-).

>(looking for faster I/O)
>Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

Tim Wright
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (03/21/91)

In article <tim.668958797@holly> tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) writes:
>In <1991Mar12.041954.15534@neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>
>>Are there any disk arrays in production (commercial) yet?
>Yes - the Dell Drive Array. Support for up to 10 physical drives. Logical
>drives may consist of up to 5 physical drives (with or without one drive used
>for data-guarding). The drives used are IDE. The controller is an EISA

Compaq also used the array technology on the System Pro. Data Guarding and
Drive Mirroring along with controller duplexing are available in the EISA
setup.

The drives are Conner 210MB. System up since October 90 w/no drive problems.
--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton@holston.UUCP

Rob_Steven_Kramarz@cup.portal.com (05/05/91)

A workshop and forum will be held Sept 9 - 13 in the Silicon Valley area
on the subject of disk arrays - selecting and integrating hardware,
software, and hybrid disk array products - intended for OEMs, integrators,
etc.  For more info on registration, call Technology Forums, 612-934-1415.
This article however is not an ad for this workshop.  My firm, 1776, Inc.,
which specializes in disk array design and selection, has been asked
to organize the workshop for Technology Forums.  For those of you who
would be interested in attending, I would like to know what topics
specifically are of interest to you.  Please write your suggestions here,
and I will include them.  You may also use this collection to ask any
specific questions you currently have on the subject of disk arrays.