[comp.periphs.scsi] <1155@tuura.UUCP>

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (05/07/91)

>/* ---------- "Re: EISA SCSI controllers?" ---------- */
>piety@hplred.HP.COM (Bob Piety) writes:
>
>>A very fast SCSI card for teh EISA bus is the ADAPTEC AHA-1740.  It
>>offers a 1540 ("compatibility") mode for old drivers, as well as the
>>fast enhanced mode.
>
>What is 'very fast'? In what environment?
>
>Mylex is best EISA-SCSI controller, what I have tested, but it doesn't
>fit to the OS/2-wordl, because of missing HPFS (working ones) drivers.
>
>Adaptec 1740 works allright with OS/2 HPFS, and with SCO Unix, but
>the performance is not so good, as with Mylex. I think it is mostly
>because of missing HW-cache on-board.

Interesting.  What hard drive was used?  Which mode was the 1740 in?
Was tag queuing used?  Was the drive a FAST SCSI-2 drive?  I don't want
to get into vendor bashing here, but I have run the Mylex board against
the 1740 and, suffice it to say, my results were quite different.
The drive I was using supported FAST SCSI-2 (10MB/sec) and tag queuing.
I used the same drive on the Mylex board as well.
In a recent BYTE article, they claimed the HP Vectra 486 has the fastest
disk subsystem they have ever tested.  I looked back over some other issues
of BYTE and found the Mylex stuff.  Indeed the HP did outperform the Mylex
using the 1740.  Of course, HP's system also uses a very high performance
SCSI disk drive as well.
I guess that's my point.  SCSI can be made to look any way you want it to.
Put a slow SCSI disk on the system and the caching adapter will probably
out run the non-caching adapter in some environments.  Although I find it
hard to believe someone would put a Seagate 296N on a 486/33 EISA system,
but I guess stranger things have happened.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese