[comp.periphs.scsi] <20602@agate.berkeley.edu>

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (05/07/91)

>I'm running on the following platform:
>
>386-20 w/ 13MB RAM
>Adaptec 1542 SCSI Host Adapter (SCSI Address 7)
>Miniscribe 3180S (330 MB) Hard Disk (SCSI Address 0, 1542 external connector)
>Archive 2150S Tape Drive (SCSI Address 1, 1542 internal connector)
>      Firmware Level -005 (As Reported by SCSICNTL.EXE)
>
>ISC UNIX 2.02 and MS-DOS 3.30
>

>Now for the questions:
>
>1.  When running Roy Neese's SCSICNTL utility (Version 5.1) the following error
>    message appears at startup.
>
>	   Start:  Tape Drive 1 error reported
>	      Sense key 02:  Not Ready
>           Error Code 00:  No additional information
>
>    I hope this is only a jumper setting problem but at this point we
>    don't know what the proper settings are.

This is normal.  If there is no tape in the drive.  The drive is not ready.

>    The drive was supplied with the following jumper settings (pardon the
>    ASCII graphics):
>
>	Looking at the back of the drive, circuit card down.
>
>                             ------
>	RxD   *  *   TxD    | *  * | CF2     *  *   ID2
>                             ------
>
>	      *  *   DIA      *  *   CF1     *  *   ID1
>
>             ------          ------         ------
>	    | *  * | PEN    | *  * | CF0   | *  * | ID0
>             ------          ------         ------
>
>    I think I've got the ID[0-2] jumpers figured out (SCSI IDs 0-7)
>    but I have no idea what the rest are.
>
>3.  The drive was supplied without termination resistors.  Are they required
>    when connected to the 1542's internal SCSI connector?  The Miniscribe
>    3180S disk has terminators installed but is connected to the 1542's
>    external connector.  If the terminators are needed what value should
>    the be?  Any suggested vendors?

Your terminator scheme should be as follows:

If you have a device on the external connector of the 1542 and add a device
to the internal connector, do the following:

Remove the terminators from the 1542.  Make sure the last device on the
external connector of the SCSI bus has terminators.  Make sure the last
device on the internal connector of the SCSI bus also has terminators.

>4.  If anyone has a spare 2150S manual they'd be willing to part with please
>    send email to the address below.

Don't have.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/09/91)

In article <283400102@adaptx1> neese@adaptx1.UUCP writes:

>>Now for the questions:
>>
>>1.  When running Roy Neese's SCSICNTL utility (Version 5.1) the following error
>>    message appears at startup.
>>
>>	   Start:  Tape Drive 1 error reported
>>	      Sense key 02:  Not Ready
>>           Error Code 00:  No additional information
>>

>This is normal.  If there is no tape in the drive.  The drive is not ready.

Roy,

I used to see this with my Archive Viper 2150S when running an earlier
version of SCSICNTL.  Now, with 5.5, I don't see it.  Should I?

bill

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (05/11/91)

>>>Now for the questions:
>>>
>>>1.  When running Roy Neese's SCSICNTL utility (Version 5.1) the following error
>>>    message appears at startup.
>>>
>>>	   Start:  Tape Drive 1 error reported
>>>	      Sense key 02:  Not Ready
>>>           Error Code 00:  No additional information
>>>

>>This is normal.  If there is no tape in the drive.  The drive is not ready.
>
>Roy,
>
>I used to see this with my Archive Viper 2150S when running an earlier
>version of SCSICNTL.  Now, with 5.5, I don't see it.  Should I?

  For the version the user was specifying, this was normal.  I have since
made a feature(?) addition that will not report this error at init time.
  While I am here, the much sought after tape program I have been working on
is about ready.  It has turned into a typical example of galloping elegance
or creeping featurism.  AT the same time a new version of SCSICNTL will be
forth coming that will support the AIC6260, AHA1510/1522/1542/1640/1740,
and ASPI support as well.  Along with some new features (i.e. the ability
to remap a bad block on a SCSI disk).

  And now that I have your attention:  If you are a 1542B owner and would
like to get the latest firmware/BIOS for this adapter.  You must send me
all the part number information off of the white sticky label that starts AHA-.
I only have the firmware/BIOS available in Intel binary format.  I will Email
it to you along with the checksums.  Along with that, I can send you a new
SCO XENIX driver that will garantee higher throughput.  This driver is a
Roy Neese driver that neither SCO or Adaptec will acknowledge.  So support
issues will have to be directed at me.