[comp.periphs.scsi] Adaptec 1540B/1542B compatibility question

dave@sam.cs.olemiss.edu (David E. Johnson) (05/12/91)

I am interested in purchasing an Adaptec 1540B or 1542B controller to
run DOS and UNIX (ESIX). I have been told that there are compatibility
problems with the card and Windows 3.0 and other DOS programs.

Can someone fill me in on the actual problems? (if any)

--
David E. Johnson
Department of Computer Science ** Title:	Systems Programmer

curry@cat.de (Juergen Kuri) (05/15/91)

David E. Johnson (dave@sam.cs.olemiss.edu) schrieb am 11. 5.:

> I am interested in purchasing an Adaptec 1540B or 1542B controller to
> run DOS and UNIX (ESIX). I have been told that there are compatibility
> problems with the card and Windows 3.0 and other DOS programs.

There are problems with programs, that run in virtual-8086-mode.
This means, you need a additional driver for programs as windows 3,
qemm-386 and that. It's called SCSIHA.SYS and I think, it's available
on every online service.

Juergen Kuri
          | curry@cat.de

---
  Juergen Kuri (curry@cat.de)
  C.A.T. Kommunikations-System, Frankfurt, Germany

dougc@squid.WV.TEK.COM (05/15/91)

In article <e40#i2.m17@cat.de> curry@cat.de (Juergen Kuri) writes:

>David E. Johnson (dave@sam.cs.olemiss.edu) schrieb am 11. 5.:
>>
>> I am interested in purchasing an Adaptec 1540B or 1542B controller to
>> run DOS and UNIX (ESIX). I have been told that there are compatibility
>> problems with the card and Windows 3.0 and other DOS programs.
>
>There are problems with programs, that run in virtual-8086-mode.
>This means, you need a additional driver for programs as windows 3,
>qemm-386 and that. It's called SCSIHA.SYS and I think, it's available
>on every online service.

While you're on the topic of drivers, are there any generic MS-DOS device
drivers for SCSI tape on any online service?

Thanks, Doug.

| Doug Carter           dougc@orca.wv.tek.com            (503) 685-2780	 |
|     Working at, but not for, Tektronix, Network Displays Division.     |