[comp.periphs.scsi] 9-TRACK SCSI TAPE DRIVES

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/17/91)

I'm looking for 9-track 6250bpi tape drives with SCSI interface.
Does anybody have any experience, recommendations?  We will be
using this on either an Adaptec or Bustek SCSI controller with
Chantal Paragon software (SCO UNIXV3.2v2).

Thanks.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

kb13+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Burner) (05/20/91)

>I'm looking for 9-track 6250bpi tape drives with SCSI interface.

Try these:

    Cipher Data Products, San Diego, CA, (619) 578-9100.
    Fujitsu America, San Jose, CA, (408) 432-1300.
    StorageTek, Louisville CO, (303) 673-4066.  [Model 92185]

These are drive manufacturers -- they may or may not be able to help you
with an SCO-compatible device driver.  For that, you may need to go to a
value-added reseller or system integrator.

   -Ken Burner
    Carnegie-Mellon Computing Services

mcb@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Michael Berry) (05/21/91)

Re: 9-track 6250bpi tape drives with SCSI interface.

You could look at the HP 88780B.  A product data sheet should address
most of your concerns.  Contact:

Lon Hoss
Peripheral OEM Sales Rep
Hewlett-Packard
9255 SW Pioneer Ct
Wilsonville OR  97070
503-682-8123

You can get the drive from:

Group 3 Distributing
2020 116 Ave N.E.
Bellview WA  98004

Michael Berry  ARPA:mcb%hpgrla@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP:hplabs!hpgrla!mcb
Technical Marketing Dept, Hewlett-Packard, Greeley Storage Division

campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (05/22/91)

>>I'm looking for 9-track 6250bpi tape drives with SCSI interface.

> Try these:
>
>     Cipher Data Products, San Diego, CA, (619) 578-9100.
>     Fujitsu America, San Jose, CA, (408) 432-1300.
>     StorageTek, Louisville CO, (303) 673-4066.  [Model 92185]
>
> These are drive manufacturers -- they may or may not be able to help you
> with an SCO-compatible device driver.  For that, you may need to go to a
> value-added reseller or system integrator.
>
>    -Ken Burner
>     Carnegie-Mellon Computing Services

Additionally, Hewlett Packard makes the 7980S.  Call 1-(800) 752-0900
for more information.
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

pvr@wang.com (Peter Reilley) (05/23/91)

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

>I'm looking for 9-track 6250bpi tape drives with SCSI interface.
>Does anybody have any experience, recommendations?  We will be
>using this on either an Adaptec or Bustek SCSI controller with
>Chantal Paragon software (SCO UNIXV3.2v2).

	I have worked with Storage Tek 9914 9 track drive for a few years
now and have found that it is an excellent drive.   The model that
I have handles 6250, 3200, 1600, and 800 densities.   I have written
a number of device drivers for this drive and have no problem recommending
it.
    There is a problem with the tape device driver in SCO UNIX 3.2.2
with variable block tapes.   When you read a tape you must specify the
exact block size.   If your read request is larger than the block size on
tape an error will be returned.   This is non-standard behavior for unix.
If you use tar, cpio, dd and specify the correct block size it will work.
If you don't know the block size then you will not be able to read the
tape.
--
                     Well, that about says it.