[comp.periphs.scsi] Rolling One's Own Device Drivers

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) (05/29/91)

How difficult is it to directly program an ISA/EISA host
adapter? Ie. how good is the hardware-level documentation from
the various vendors?  For example, does the Adaptec SCSI Master
kit provide register-level documentation for those who want to
roll their own drivers (I know about ASPI but what about under
OS/2?)?  How about DPT, Mylex, etc.?  Target operating system
is initially DOS and OS/2 1.3, to be followed by Unix SVR4 and
OS/2 2.0.

Ken (shiva@well.sf.ca.us)

db@seachg.uucp (David Bell) (05/31/91)

In article <25098@well.sf.ca.us> shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) writes:

>How difficult is it to directly program an ISA/EISA host
>adapter? Ie. how good is the hardware-level documentation from
>the various vendors?  For example, does the Adaptec SCSI Master
>kit provide register-level documentation for those who want to
>roll their own drivers
>
>Ken (shiva@well.sf.ca.us)

All I can tell you is that the Adaptec 1542b kit does not. We recently bought
an Adaptec card under the illusion that we would be able to write our own
device drivers, disk maintenance utilities, backup utilities etc.

When we asked for a tech manual to give us the register level info needed,
we were told that this information was proprietory ! Any drivers etc. must
be purchased from adaptec. This is NOT the type of support we are used to
getting to say the least.

If anyone knows of a vendor that supplies high performance SCSI host
adaptors, and also includes programming info please let me know !!
--
Dave Bell

Sea Change Corporation
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
UUCP: ...!uunet!attcan!seachg!db

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (05/31/91)

>/* ---------- "Rolling One's Own Device Drivers" ---------- */
>
>How difficult is it to directly program an ISA/EISA host
>adapter? Ie. how good is the hardware-level documentation from
>the various vendors?  For example, does the Adaptec SCSI Master
>kit provide register-level documentation for those who want to
>roll their own drivers (I know about ASPI but what about under
>OS/2?)?  How about DPT, Mylex, etc.?  Target operating system
>is initially DOS and OS/2 1.3, to be followed by Unix SVR4 and
>OS/2 2.0.

The SCSI Master Kit does not come with Tech Ref manual.  I can provide it
to you if you like.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese

norsk@sequent.com (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.184825.6659@seachg.uucp> db@seachg.UUCP (David Bell) writes:
>In article <25098@well.sf.ca.us> shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) writes:
>>
>>How difficult is it to directly program an ISA/EISA host
>>adapter? Ie. how good is the hardware-level documentation from
>>the various vendors?  For example, does the Adaptec SCSI Master
>>kit provide register-level documentation for those who want to
>>roll their own drivers
>>
>>Ken (shiva@well.sf.ca.us)
>
>All I can tell you is that the Adaptec 1542b kit does not. We recently bought
>an Adaptec card under the illusion that we would be able to write our own
>device drivers, disk maintenance utilities, backup utilities etc.
>
>When we asked for a tech manual to give us the register level info needed,
>we were told that this information was proprietory ! Any drivers etc. must
>be purchased from adaptec. This is NOT the type of support we are used to
>getting to say the least.

You ask the wrong guys.

I got the docs and wrote a device driver for the AHA-1542B, for
a class I took. Got it running under XENIX, but first got it
running under DOS in a stand alone EXE file. (Not a DOS driver, just
a driver that the test program could use to ensure it worked - thats
how I do most of the drivers for UNIX, first do a prototype under
DOS then move it to UNIX)

Also got the ASPI manual and am now writing some stuff to interface
to that, and this code will be portable across all of the adaptec
HBAs. For DOS, it would be better to write to the the ASPI interface
than to the HBA interface. Under other OSs not supporting ASPI,
you need your own.

NOTE: All the UNIX systems come with a aha-154x driver in them.

Yes, docs are difficult to come by but not if you are persistent.

Adaptec manuals I know of.   Each about $10. from  Adaptec
	Literature Dept, 691 South Milpitas Blvd. Mulpitas, CA
	95035, or via their phone system , Literature Deptment

Aha-1540A/1542A	User's Manual 1989
	This is not a user's manual its a programming manual
	that shows a device driver writer how to talk to the board.
	Full description of the ports, jumpering, mailbox
	format,etc.

	Document Scope: This manual provdies the intformation required
	to install and program the AHA-1540A and the AHA-1542A Intelligent
	Host Adapters in AT bus-based systems.

	[manuals probably exists for the 1522 and 1640 boards]

AHA-1540B/1542B User's Manual.
	Same programming interface, register files, but differnt
	jumpers than the 1540A/1542A

AHA-1540B/1542B Installation Guide

Advanced SCSI Programming Interface (ASPI) - DOS Specification

	there are others for OS/2, Novell, etc

If you wish my DOS prototype source, ping me back, I get it to you.
The board's interface isn't too bad. I like the board.

Also, in the minix newsgroup, about a month ago, someone posted
a Minix driver for the 1540, but just a disk driver, not
a general purpose SCSI driver - shame, but minix isn't too good
for a layered driver approach.

>If anyone knows of a vendor that supplies high performance SCSI host
>adaptors, and also includes programming info please let me know !!

adaptec has been better than the others.

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogicse,uunet}!sequent!norsk
				Internet:	norsk@sequent.com

gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.184825.6659@seachg.uucp> db@seachg.UUCP (David Bell) writes:
->
-
-When we asked for a tech manual to give us the register level info needed,
-we were told that this information was proprietory ! Any drivers etc. must
-be purchased from adaptec. This is NOT the type of support we are used to
-getting to say the least.

I was able to order the register level documentation for the
AHA-1542 directly from Adaptec.  They charge $20 unless you can
talk your local rep/office out of it.  Call them in CA (I don't
have the phone # here) and as for tech documents.  You'll get a
recording which describes how to order the manual.  They want a check
in advance.  It took about 2-3 weeks.

While I have many reservations about Adaptec support, the manual looks
complete, and the board certainly works.  Their Multibus I board, however,
didn't, so I wound up using an NCR board instead.
	good luck,
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.