[comp.periphs.scsi] jumpers on CDC-94171-327

brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) (05/23/91)

I just bought a CDC-94171-327, which did not come with a manual.  The
reseller is being difficult, and I don't know who to call.  The drive works
great, but I'd really like to have the jumper settings so that I could
change the SCSI ID, etc.  I think that it would be a better root drive
than an ST-296N, perhaps. :-)  If anyone would like to mail me info on the
jumpers, that'd be best, but if you don't have a manual handy, please send
info on who to contact for an installation manual (I don't need to program it,
I just need to configure it).

Thanks in advance,
Brian

/---------------------------------------|------------------------------------\
| #include <std_disclaim.h>             | Inet: brians@cs.pdx.edu            |
| #include <human_errors.h>             | UUCP: tektronix!pdxgate!brians     |
|---------------------------------------|------------------------------------|
| Behold the warranty.. the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.|
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

berger@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Mike Berger) (05/28/91)

brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) writes:

>I just bought a CDC-94171-327, which did not come with a manual.  The
>reseller is being difficult, and I don't know who to call.  The drive works
>great, but I'd really like to have the jumper settings so that I could
>change the SCSI ID, etc.  I think that it would be a better root drive
*----
Looking from the back, there is a set of 7 positions for shorting
blocks next to the power connector on the servo PWA, and another
group with two positions on the data PWA.

From left to right, the options are:
1. Parity check option
2. motor start option
3,4,5 BCD logical drive address MSB is leftmost jumper
6,7 ground select jumpers

On the other set, think of the bottom left pin as a pivot.
Vertical position is for terminator power from disk drive,
horizontal position is for terminator power from cable.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (06/01/91)

brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) writes:

>I just bought a CDC-94171-327, which did not come with a manual.
>[..]  I'd really like to have the jumper settings so that I could
>change the SCSI ID, etc.  [...]  please send
>info on who to contact for an installation manual

There is a disk technical support number:	1-900-820-3001

I believe you have what used to be called the 94171-307, i.e.,
350MB, 9 heads, 1412 cylinders, which used to, in its turn, be
known as the 94171-300.

Jumper settings:

	: : : : :  : :   o o o o
	p m I i i  G g   V V V V
------------------------------------------circuit board (servo pwa)
------------------------------------------circuit board (data pwa)
				. .
				. . t

[These jumpers are above the (servo pwa) circuit board]

p => parity, short=enable, open=disable
m => motor start, short=enable, open=disable
Iii => scsi id, binary encoded id, left most jumper (I) is most
	significant bit, i.e., open-open-short is scsi id 1
Gg => ground select, G short=chasis ground, g short=signal ground
VVVV => dc voltage supply, i.e., power connectors

[These jumpers are below the (data pwa) circuit board]

Tt => terminator power source, T short(vertical)=power from Wren,
	t short(horizontal)=power from cable
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG -- U of MN Women's Lax
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need