[comp.periphs.scsi] Maxtor phone number

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/31/91)

Does anyone out there have the phone number for Maxtor (that hard disk
manufacturer)?

--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki| The opinions expressed here are my own and are not

root@fquest.fidonet.org (Kevin Basey) (06/02/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

> Does anyone out there have the phone number for Maxtor (that hard disk
> manufacturer)?
>
> --
> -----------------------+---------------------------------------------------
> Charles "Chip" Yamasaki| The opinions expressed here are my own and are not
> chip@oshcomm.osha.gov  | supported or even generally accepted by OSHA. :-)
> -----------------------+---------------------------------------------------

MAXTOR         408-432-1700

Hope this helps. This was the last number I had for them.

jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) (06/02/91)

root@fquest.fidonet.org (Kevin Basey) writes:
>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>> Does anyone out there have the phone number for Maxtor (that hard disk
>> manufacturer)?

>MAXTOR         408-432-1700
>Hope this helps. This was the last number I had for them.

This number still works, but it is for the administrative offices.  They can
transfer you, but I wouldn't recommend going through them.  Just 2 weeks ago
I had a XT8760S drive go belly up, and it took me a couple of days to get
through to the right place.  I kept running up against recordings and busy
signals until I finally hit the wrong number by accident and got a
salesperson who looked up some direct phone numbers, and I was all set.

When you call the above number, you will likely get a recording which tells
you the number for Maxtor Security, and the Technical Support line.  The
Tech line is 408-432-4777.  It is a voice mail system which takes forever to
navigate.  If you need the specs of a drive, you can get them on this line.
They have extensions for getting technical help, but when dialed you are
asked to leave a message, except it the says 'Voice Mail Box is Full' and
then tries to ring through to a real person, except it either rings and
rings or is busy.  If you wait long enough, a recording will come back and
tell you their 800 number, which is 1-800-356-5333.  You can also try to
connect to support on this line, but my experience was the same, many voice
mail boxes full, busy signals or no answer.  This is where I eventually hit
a wrong number and got the salesman who was nice, and supplied me with some
direct line phone numbers.

All in all I thought the whole thing was rather pathetic, and I now know why
John Dvorak dislikes voice mail so much.  My advice is to try to get through
to a real person and demand a direct phone number to reach someone.  Once I
had these, I had an RMA in about 20 minutes and the drive was out the door.

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice/msg
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	Soon: jim@cave.sba.ca.us