[comp.periphs.scsi] QIC150 SCSI tape

george@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (George Travan) (06/05/91)

I have been offered a QIC-150 SCSI cartridge tape unit for my SUN 4/60.
The only identification on the unit is on the rear of the assembly
which has :

 Tandberg Data AVS   TDC 3660  (it has 28  7.09 written in ink)

Could someone give me an idea as to what this unit is and whether it
will work on a SUN. Standard SCSI?? The only info I have is that it
was in an enclosure with a wren V and it was connected to a Tektronix
unit.

Can someone help me with this one? I know little about tape drives...

George Travan
University of Adelaide
Box 498 G.P.O Adelaide
AUSTRALIA 5001             e_mail: george@frodo.ua.oz.au

dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) (06/06/91)

In article <3557@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, george@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (George Travan) writes:
> I have been offered a QIC-150 SCSI cartridge tape unit for my SUN 4/60.
>
>  Tandberg Data AVS   TDC 3660  (it has 28  7.09 written in ink)
>
> Could someone give me an idea as to what this unit is and whether it
> will work on a SUN. Standard SCSI?? The only info I have is that it
> was in an enclosure with a wren V and it was connected to a Tektronix
> unit.
>
> Can someone help me with this one? I know little about tape drives...

Maybe I can help a little.

Standard SCSI, YES!

Whether it will work on your SUN is at least in part a function of how picky
the SUN tape driver is. Some systems will talk to anything that's common
command set complient, others look at the ID string and if it isn't one
of the select set of chosen drives, "too bad Charlie!"

The mass storage team at TEK was very high on that drive, good mechanics,
good data reliability. The best way to find out if fit will work on your
SUN is to hook it up and try it!

If it doesn't work you might offer it to some helpful soul on the network :-)

* Tom Beach           *  "No computer can be too powerful, have too much       *
* ADP Dealer Services *      memory or disk storage, too fast a processor      *
* 2525 SW 1st Ave     *      or disk or too high a screen resolution."         *
* Portland, OR, 97201 *            William Zachmann in PC Magazine             *
* dtb@adpplz.UUCP     *                                                        *