[comp.periphs.scsi] Where can I get SCSI tape backup software for MS-DOS?

wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (William J. Bogstad) (06/06/91)

	I've been trying to find a way to back up my ISA bus computer to a
SCSI tape drive and am having difficulty getting information on the
necessary software.  The only product I have found is SY-TOS, but I can't
find anyone except the manufacturer that sells it.  Lots of people sell
packaged subsystems that include SY-TOS, but I have my own contacts for the
hardware and can get usually get better prices.  Or if you know of a company
that sells a complete SCSI tape subsystem for around $600-$650 that would
work as well.  It must be SCSI though.  I don't want a floppy-tape system as
I want to be able to use the tape drive on other non-IBM PC systems.  Any
information on this or related topics would be appreciated.

				Thanks,
				Bill Bogstad

Andreas.Kaiser@f7014.n244.z2.stgt.sub.org (Andreas Kaiser) (06/07/91)

 >I've been trying to find a way to back up my ISA bus computer to
 >a SCSI tape drive and am having difficulty getting information on
 >the necessary software.  The only product I have found is SY-TOS, but
 >I can't find anyone except the manufacturer that sells it.

Since you will need a SCSI host adapter to connect to the drive, the host
adapter's manufaturer should supply the requried Sytos version. I know of
versions for WD7000 and AHD154x.

I bought the Sytos for AHA154x and the only backup method where both backup
*and* restore were reliable was the physical disk backup, which does not allow
selective restore. Both file and partition backups were unreliable - software
trouble, the tape drive (Tandberg) is ok.

Since Adaptecs SCSI programming interface (ASPI) is undocumented and I was told

that the documentation is unavailable, I ended up in writing my own drivers for

the SCSI tape. The DOS version replaces the Adaptec ASPI4DOS disk driver.
Later in OS/2 this approach was inapplicable due to the complexity of the disk
driver, so I looked for a cheap Seagate ST01, fixed the builtin hardware bug and

wrote a tape driver for this host adapter. Now I use a ported version of GNU-Tar

both for DOS and OS/2 backups. An additional benefit is the ability to direcly
position the tape to end-of-media and to selected files, the latter one using a

Tandberg-specific fast seek command (requires a maximum of 2 track scans).

                Gruss, Andreas

 * Origin: kaiser@ananke.stgt.sub.org - Stuttgart FRG (2:244/7014)