[comp.periphs.scsi] Performance of Exabyte 8500

mcba@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Michael C. B. Ashley) (06/06/91)

Hi folks,

I'm keen to purchase one of the new EXB-8500 5Gbyte cartridge tape
drives, but two issues are holding me back:

  (1) Compatibility with EXB-8200 tapes is essential for me. Some
      pre-release advertising material from Exabyte (dated early 1990)
      claims full read and write compatibility, however, a distributor
      has told me that the units currently being shipped are not
      compatible. Does anyone know if this is true?

  (2) Price. I have received a quote which places the EXB-8500 at about
      US$6500, which seems excessive, and is over twice the price of an
      EXB-8200. Is this reasonable?

Thanks for any advice,
Michael Ashley mcba@newt.phys.unsw.oz.au Astrophysics
Dept./UNSW/Australia

hashemi@leads70.ese.lmsc.lockheed.com (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (06/07/91)

In article <1733@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> mcba@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Michael C. B. Ashley) writes:
>Hi folks,
>
>I'm keen to purchase one of the new EXB-8500 5Gbyte cartridge tape
>drives, but two issues are holding me back:
>
>  (1) Compatibility with EXB-8200 tapes is essential for me. Some

This issue is resolved in the new version of their F/W.

>  (2) Price. I have received a quote which places the EXB-8500 at about
>      US$6500, which seems excessive, and is over twice the price of an
>      EXB-8200. Is this reasonable?

Try Emon Komeily at ANDATACO office in Fremont, California (415)659-9191.
I have recently purchased 2 EXB-8500 drives, each with its enclosure(each
enclosure can house 2 EXB-8500 units, for my future needs) and power supply
for $3900.00 per subsystem. Give him a call and let him know that I reffered
you, and you may get a better treatment( or may be not :-) ). Good luck, and
have a great day.

PS: His address is:

ANDATACO Computer Peripherals

48511 Warmsprings Blvd.