[comp.periphs.scsi] Is SCSI-2 ARLL?

add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) (06/18/91)

	I'd like to know if the SCSI-2 spec defines the data encoding method
to be used with SCSI drives.  SCSI drives use RLL encoding, but do they
ever use ARLL encoding?  Howz about drives for use with SCSI-2 systems?

--

--------------------

add@sciences.sdsu.edu

k2@bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (06/18/91)

add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) writes:

>	I'd like to know if the SCSI-2 spec defines the data encoding method
>to be used with SCSI drives.  SCSI drives use RLL encoding, but do they
>ever use ARLL encoding?  Howz about drives for use with SCSI-2 systems?

SCSI never defines the data encoding on a drive. It's really independent
from the data encoding. The SCSI BUS transfers bytes, not encoded data.
The drive itself has to deal with the encoding. The bus is completely
independent from data encoding. So it's possible, to not even connect
disk drives, you can also connect tapes, printers, scanner, or whatever
you think about. (Maybe your computerized toaster)

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende

Roger.Sheppard@actrix.gen.nz (Roger Sheppard) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.001914.21305@sciences.sdsu.edu> add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) writes:

> 	I'd like to know if the SCSI-2 spec defines the data encoding method
> to be used with SCSI drives.  SCSI drives use RLL encoding, but do they
> ever use ARLL encoding?  Howz about drives for use with SCSI-2 systems?
>
> --
>
> --------------------
>
> add@sciences.sdsu.edu

There is one Drive that I think uses ERLL or ARLL, this is a Kaylock,
I am not to sure how its spelt ,a SCSI drive, I did ask the Importers here,
and they told me that the 40 meg SCSI drive was the same Mechanism
as the 20 meg drive.

--
***  Roger W. Sheppard        *    Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz  ***
***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***

colin@array.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.001914.21305@sciences.sdsu.edu> add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) writes:

>	I'd like to know if the SCSI-2 spec defines the data encoding method
>to be used with SCSI drives.  SCSI drives use RLL encoding, but do they
>ever use ARLL encoding?  How about drives for use with SCSI-2 systems?

No SCSI spec (SCSI-1 or SCSI-2) define in any way the data encoding.
You could have a genie in there writing in Babylonian cuneiform on clay
tablets and conform to the letter of the SCSI spec, if you could get
him working fast enough to avoid timeouts.  All you have to have is a
bunch of blocks that can be read or written with a consistent number of
bytes each.

Because they aren't handicapped by a user-visible encoding (unlike
ST-506 and its ilk), SCSI drives (even where they're so staid as to use
horizontally magnetised, multi-layer discs for media) show more
variety.  MFM (also known as (1,3) RLL) is used, but the RLL used by
so-called "RLL controllers" for IBM PCs, namely (2,7) RLL is also used, and
(1,7) RLL is very popular.
--
	-Colin