[comp.periphs.scsi] Mac 25-50 cable

Mark.Simmonds@bbs.oit.unc.edu (Mark Simmonds) (06/22/91)

I was wondering if somebody knew the pinouts for the external scsi cable
for a mac, the 25 to 50 pin cable.

				Mark
--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/22/91)

In article <4193@beguine.UUCP> Mark.Simmonds@bbs.oit.unc.edu (Mark Simmonds) writes:
>I was wondering if somebody knew the pinouts for the external scsi cable
>for a mac, the 25 to 50 pin cable.

Following is a repost of material I originally posted 29-Aug-1988.  I have
another diagram that details the signals, but cannot (quickly) find it online;
the attached diagram uses abbreviations for the signals.

Since originally posting the attachment, I've noted better conformance to the
specs by new equipment, but I continue to abide my original suggestions and
have experienced NO problems amongst considerably more systems than I
originally indicated I use.

The one issue that still gives me the willies is TERMPWR.  What I've finally
been doing for the past 2+ years is simply pulling pin 26 out of the 50-pin
shell for interconnects before making cables to be SURE that there's no monkey
business; this way the TERMPWR is supplied only by the host adapter and only
seen by the termination pack at the end of the bus.  The peace-of-mind achieved
by this technique (re: TERMPWR) is worth it, and I no longer need worry about
poorly-written configuration setups in mfr's manuals (even OEM manuals); I used
to DEMAND the schematics so I could see for myself precisely how a given device
interfaces to the bus; I don't (demand schematics) anymore.

And note that I have no compunction about opening newly-purchased equipment
and using a soldering iron to "fix" things!  :-)

In the following attachment, unless specifically stated otherwise, the mention
of a given wire or pin refers to the 50-wire cable and not the D25 connector.

And references to "SCSI specs" in the attachment refer to the original SCSI
docs I got from John Lohmeyer's SCSI BBS (at NCR in Wichita KS; John is the
Chair of the ANSI SCSI X3T9.2 committee, and provided the additional material
at the end.)

Hope this info proves useful to you, too.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

-------------------- begin originally-posted material

Many systems supporting SCSI (Amiga, Mac, etc.) use a DB25 connector at
the host-adapter end to save real-estate; the SCSI devices themselves
use the "correct" 50-pin connectors (either Centronics 50-pin or the
dual-25 row kind).

The so-called "Mac System Cable" has a DB-25 on one end and a Centronics
50-pin connector on the other.  SCSI interconnects are 50-wire.

At the end of this posting are the pinouts of the DB25 and the 50-wire.

One thing I've noticed (after adding over 1GB HD and a Fujitsu 190MB tape
drive to my Amiga's SCSI bus) is that some device manufacturers take liberties
with SCSI wires 20,22,24,28,30, and 34; some tie these to ground, some tie
them to +5VDC, and some leave them (properly) unconnected.

Another caveat with multiple devices on a given bus is to be SURE that only
one is supplying +5VDC on SCSI pin 26 for terminator power.  Some mfrs provide
jumpers to enable/disable, some feed thru a diode, some feed the power out
"raw", and some do nothing.

What I do on my systems is supply terminator power from the host adapter, and
use an external terminator at the END of the bus.

From my experience, what I suggest is that when you're making the cabling,
pull pins 20,22,24,26,28,30,34 from the connector that attaches to the embedded
SCSI drive and/or SCSI translator.  I've noticed that Apple's SCSI interconnect
cables do NOT pass pins 20,22,24,28,30,34 (for the reason I noted above).

Another observation I'd like to make is that MANY of the 3rd party consumer-
grade mfrs of SCSI HDs wire their boxes INCORRECTLY.  SCSI specs mandate no
more than a 10cm "stub" off the bus, yet many Mac-type drives I've opened up
(just gotta see what's in there! :-) have a 2" 50-wire connection joining the
two Centronics connectors continuing with a 15" stub to the 50-wire connector
on either an embedded SCSI drive or an Adaptec 4000A or 4070 translator.  This
mis-wiring would account for the problems people have running a SCSI bus out
to 20 feet (I have no problems since I wired my systems correctly, and the
last device is 19' from the host adapter).   Remember: SCSI wiring is
supposed to be DAISY-CHAINED, per:

              WRONG:                                CORRECT:
        ____________________                   __________________
       /                    \                 /                  \
      []                    |                []                  |
       \                    \_DISK                               \_DISK
       /                                                         /
      []                                     []                  |
                                              \__________________/

      The "[]" is a 50-pin Centronics connector

SCSI Connector (DB-25)

Pin     Name
-------------
 1      REQ
 2      MSG
 3      I/O
 4      RST
 5      ACK
 6      BSY
 7      GND
 8      DB0
 9      GND
10      DB3
11      DB5
12      DB6
13      DB7
14      GND
15      C/D
16      GND
17      ATN
18      GND
19      SEL
20      DBP
21      DB1
22      DB2
23      DB4
24      GND
25      N.C. (or) Terminator Power

SCSI Connector (50 pin header)

Pin     Name          Pin     Name
-----------------------------------
 1      GND            2      DB0
 3      GND            4      DB1
 5      GND            6      DB2
 7      GND            8      DB3
 9      GND           10      DB4
11      GND           12      DB5
13      GND           14      DB6
15      GND           16      DB7
17      GND           18      DBP
19      GND           20      GND   <- caution: not always
21      GND           22      GND   <- caution: not always
23      GND           24      GND   <- caution: not always
25      N.C.          26      Terminator Power
27      GND           28      GND   <- caution: not always
29      GND           30      GND   <- caution: not always
31      GND           32      ATN
33      GND           34      GND   <- caution: not always
35      GND           36      BSY
37      GND           38      ACK
39      GND           40      RST
41      GND           42      MSG
43      GND           44      SEL
45      GND           46      C/D
47      GND           48      REQ
49      GND           50      I/O

-------------------- additional material from John Lohmeyer

In article <8551@cup.portal.com> Thad Floryan writes:
> ... text deleted...
>One thing I've noticed (after adding over 1GB HD and a Fujitsu 190MB tape
>drive to my Amiga's SCSI bus) is that some device manufacturers take liberties
>with SCSI wires 20,22,24,28,30, and 34; some tie these to ground, some tie
>them to +5VDC, and some leave them (properly) unconnected.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^
These pins should properly be tied to ground.  Unterminated signals can cause
noise problems.  Anyone who ties these lines to +5VDC not only violates the
SCSI standard but will cook some fuses (or failing that, some power supplies).

>Another caveat with multiple devices on a given bus is to be SURE that only
>one is supplying +5VDC on SCSI pin 26 for terminator power.  Some mfrs provide
>jumpers to enable/disable, some feed thru a diode, some feed the power out
>"raw", and some do nothing.

The best thing to do is have all initiators (host adapters -- there may be
more than one) provide TERMPWR through a diode and a fuse.  This is what
SCSI-2 requires.  Targets may also provide TERMPWR through a diode and a fuse.

Your comments on daisy-chaining are quite correct.  I like your diagram. Apple
and other vendors opted for the DB-25 connectors to save space. Obviously,
something had to go so they eliminated some ground signals. They may have shot
themselves in the foot.  These grounds affect their ability to transfer data
at high speeds.  At least they kept the 50-pin connectors on their external
boxes. If a future Apple processor needs really fast transfers, it will
probably have to use all 50-pins.  At least the peripheral boxes won't have
to be scrapped.

John Lohmeyer, X3T9.2 (SCSI) Chairman   j.lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM

-------------------- end of attachments