[comp.periphs.scsi] 1542B Installation Problem

dwennick@polari.UUCP (don wennick) (06/15/91)

OK, here's the configuration:

    16MHz NEATsx 386sx motherboard, w/4, 1M SIPPs
    Micropolis 1578-15 330Mb HD
    Hercules clone display adapter
    IBM PC-DOS 3.3

The other cards are apparently irrelevant, as the following troubles
occured with everything else removed from the system.

The 1542B is configured with BIOS enabled. I've tried DMA channels 5
and 0, and port addresses 330, 334 and 130 (the latter two with BIOS
disabled & ASPI4DOS.SYS installed). I haven't bothered to change the
interrupt/IRQ from the default 11, since the 1522 I'm using is setup
on 11 and works fine.

At bootup, the SCSI BIOS reports that it found the drive at 0/0, and
that it's been installed as drive C. OK so far.

When I try to partition the drive with FDISK, "Create a DOS partition",
the system reboots.

Next attempt, I start up the BIOS utility with debug, g=dc00:6.

It shows no devices, the 1542's LED and the drive's LED remain on for
a while, then it reports "TIMEOUT ERROR/SCSI INQUIRY COMMAND".

This seemed like a dead end, so that's when I tried disabling the BIOS
and installing ASPI4DOS /Paddress. When ASPI loaded, it said "Failed
scanning for SCSI devices" after a long wait.

So, any suggestions?

Oh yeah, there are no flashcodes being reported on the 1542's LED.

Don.

--
Don Wennick | dwennick@polari.UUCP -or- donw@rwing.UUCP | TANSTAAFL

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (06/18/91)

>/* ---------- "1542B Installation Problem" ---------- */
>OK, here's the configuration:
>
>    16MHz NEATsx 386sx motherboard, w/4, 1M SIPPs
>    Micropolis 1578-15 330Mb HD
>    Hercules clone display adapter
>    IBM PC-DOS 3.3
>
>The other cards are apparently irrelevant, as the following troubles
>occured with everything else removed from the system.
>
>The 1542B is configured with BIOS enabled. I've tried DMA channels 5
>and 0, and port addresses 330, 334 and 130 (the latter two with BIOS
>disabled & ASPI4DOS.SYS installed). I haven't bothered to change the
>interrupt/IRQ from the default 11, since the 1522 I'm using is setup
>on 11 and works fine.
>
>At bootup, the SCSI BIOS reports that it found the drive at 0/0, and
>that it's been installed as drive C. OK so far.
>
>When I try to partition the drive with FDISK, "Create a DOS partition",
>the system reboots.
>
>Next attempt, I start up the BIOS utility with debug, g=dc00:6.
>
>It shows no devices, the 1542's LED and the drive's LED remain on for
>a while, then it reports "TIMEOUT ERROR/SCSI INQUIRY COMMAND".
>
>This seemed like a dead end, so that's when I tried disabling the BIOS
>and installing ASPI4DOS /Paddress. When ASPI loaded, it said "Failed
>scanning for SCSI devices" after a long wait.

Check the DMA jumper speed setting.  Move it to 5.0MB/sec.  Try running the
bus master test located at dc00:9.  If this fails with the adapter set to
5.0MB/sec, the 1542 will not work in this system.  Failure of the bus master
test is about as catastrophic as it gets.  Simply put, the motherboard will
not support a bus master.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese

Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Thomas Weihrich) (06/22/91)

neese@adaptx1.UUCP writes:

>>/* ---------- "1542B Installation Problem" ---------- */
>>OK, here's the configuration:
>>
>>    16MHz NEATsx 386sx motherboard, w/4, 1M SIPPs
>>    Micropolis 1578-15 330Mb HD
>>    Hercules clone display adapter
>>    IBM PC-DOS 3.3
>>

>Check the DMA jumper speed setting.  Move it to 5.0MB/sec.  Try running the
>bus master test located at dc00:9.  If this fails with the adapter set to
>5.0MB/sec, the 1542 will not work in this system.  Failure of the bus master
>test is about as catastrophic as it gets.  Simply put, the motherboard will
>not support a bus master.

>			Roy Neese
>			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
>			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
>				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese

As far as I know the NEAT chipset does not support a bus master in a 386SX.
You should have no problems with a 386SX board and an Intel chipset.

Thomas Weihrich
Thomas Weihrich
Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE
weihrich@uniol.uucp