[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Partitioning question

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (02/21/90)

This newsgroup appeared just in time!

I'm making an MS-DOS clone and I need to understand exactly how the
partitioning works.  I know that:  the first sector of the harddrive is a boot
program which loads in the boot sector of the active partition.  This sector
supports 4 partitions.  So that a disk can have many partitions, the "extended
dos" partition has a partitioning system of its own.  The question:  How does
the real boot sector (the one on the active partition) know the parameters for
it's partition?  And, in the extended partition, how does MS-DOS know the
parameters for each sub-partition?  One book I looked in didn't say.  Another
book said that a copy of the partition entry for that partition resides in
each partition's boot sector.  This sounds reasonable- except that it's not
true.  None of the boot sectors on any partition seem to have a partition
entry.
--
            "Come on Duke, lets do those crimes" - Debbie
"Yeah... Yeah, lets go get sushi... and not pay" - Duke

In article <8762@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:

   This newsgroup appeared just in time!

   I'm making an MS-DOS clone and I need to understand exactly how the
   partitioning works.  ...

Is anyone else interested in a moderated comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer?

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (02/21/90)

In article <8762@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:

>This newsgroup appeared just in time!
>
>I'm making an MS-DOS clone and I need to understand exactly how the
>partitioning works.  [partition questions]

Never mind.  I figured this out.  If anyone wants me to I'll post all about
it.  Instead, I have this question:  How exactly does the network interface
work on MS-DOS?  I notice some calls about set-up tables, but how exactly do
you install a network disk driver?