[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] PC-MOS

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (02/21/90)

Does anyone out there have any experience setting up PC-MOS?

all help will be appreciated.

-------
Mark Solsman
US mail  -> 1012 Whippoorwill Drive   Clarks Summit, Pa   18411
BitNET   -> MHS108 @ PSUVM.BITNET
InterNET -> MHS108 @ PSUVM.PSU.EDU
RelayNet -> Mark Solsman  (direct mail to node OUTER)

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (02/22/90)

Oh, come on, someone out there must know how to set up PC-MOS.

Please, if you have any leads on how to set up PC-MOS, please send them over!

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/23/90)

In article <90052.225123MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
>Oh, come on, someone out there must know how to set up PC-MOS.
>
>Please, if you have any leads on how to set up PC-MOS, please send them over!

RTFM!

Sure if you have a specific problem with setting up PC-MOS the net is a
good way to get help.  Come with specific questions, sample error messages
etc and you will probably get some help.  But if you want to have the net
do the installation for you you're SOL.  No one answered your first post
because you didn't ask a question.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) (02/23/90)

In article <90052.225123MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
>Oh, come on, someone out there must know how to set up PC-MOS.
>
>Please, if you have any leads on how to set up PC-MOS, please send them over!

Well I though I'd wait for some serious replies, but since none appeared...

What to do with PC-MOS:

1)Boot the machine from regular MS-DOS.
2)Format the PC-MOS disks so they are completely blank.*

*I take no responsibility if you actually do this.

Seriously, PC-MOS is one of the worst multitasking OS's I've ever seen for the
386.  It takes a perfectly fast machine and makes it slow as molasses flowing
uphill in the winter.  It crashes constantly with no particular prerequisites.
Believe me, I couldn't find any regular pattern that made it crash in 3
months, and there were only 4 programs that were ever run with it.  (Programs
that did no fancy i/o, which is what usually trips up OS's like this)  In the
case of where I worked this summer, it would crash more than once an hour.

What PC-MOS is good for: It makes alot of money for consultants who are
constantly needed to come in and fix the setup so that it will stop crashing,
which never works.

However, if you still want to use it, try looking through the on-line help
screens.  They seemed to explain just about everything.  (That's what the
consultant used.)