[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] 386 system problems

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (02/22/90)

    I have a utility called search, which is one of those do-everything
type utilities.  When I try to run it on some (cheap) 386 systems, it
hangs the CPU so that it has to be reset or power cycled.  I do not have
this problem on 808x, 80286 systems, or on Compaq, AST, Dell, or Everex
386 systems.

    Has anyone run into something similar?  Any educated guesses?

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

gunther@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gunther Wil Anderson) (02/24/90)

In article <36@demott.COM> kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>    I have a utility called search, which is one of those do-everything
>type utilities.  When I try to run it on some (cheap) 386 systems, it
>hangs the CPU so that it has to be reset or power cycled.  I do not have
>this problem on 808x, 80286 systems, or on Compaq, AST, Dell, or Everex
>386 systems.
>
>    Has anyone run into something similar?  Any educated guesses?

My educated guess is that there is some timing conflict.  Try slowing
your machine down to a crawl, and see if it works then. Yes, Dorothy,
there is such a thing as a machine too fast.

						Gunther W. Anderson
						gunther@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu