[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Installing device drivers at run time?

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (02/28/90)

Does anyone know of a utility which would install a device driver (that would
normally go in config.sys) at the DOS prompt?

I have in mind doing something like this:

    C:> DDINSTAL ansi.sys

The reason I want to do this, is that on our Novell network, we have remote boot
for the student PCs. The boot image (including config.sys) is fixed. However,
some software packages (eg. SYGRAPH) require device drivers to be loaded. To
accommodate this at the moment, I must generate multiple boot images. Switching
between them is not trivial.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (02/28/90)

I'd also be interested in hearing about this.  Think of the other uses:

	I use Windows/386, which has a LIM expanded memory driver built in
	I also use Dpaint II Extended, which needs a separate LIM driver
		(I can't get a single &(*&)(* DOS application to run under
		 windows) and a mouse driver.

I'd really like to be able to load the separate LIM driver and mouse driver
at run time, and then subsequently remove them when I finish using Dpaint,
so they don't take memory away from Windows/386.  (Yes, I know about ONCALL
and several other clones - this will handle MOUSE.COM but not the EMM driver
.SYS file)

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (03/03/90)

In article <17419.25eba112@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>Does anyone know of a utility which would install a device driver (that would
>normally go in config.sys) at the DOS prompt?
[...]

A program for loading character device drivers from the DOS command line
is fairly simple.  All you have to do is copy the file into memory, call
it with an INIT packet, and then link its device names into the DOS
device chain.

Ralf Brown's interrupt list has all the info you need to locate the device
chain.

-Jeff Pipkins
pipkins@imagen.com

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (03/04/90)

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>Does anyone know of a utility which would install a device driver (that would
>normally go in config.sys) at the DOS prompt?

A search of the SIMTEL20 msdos file list turned up the following:

 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ASMUTL>
DDKIT.ARC     B   10240  880704  Device driver writing kit

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
COMP.ARC      B    5161  880829  Load and unload device drivers after bootup

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C>
IDD.ARC       B   17206  890213  Installable Device Drivers in Turbo-C
TCDEV.ARC     B    3944  870805  Write device drivers in Turbo-C

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC, & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]