[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] MS-DOS Batch files

geraldb@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Gerald Bryan (Denver)) (02/27/90)

Does anyone know of a batch file executor that looks like UNIX's Bourne
shell but runs under MS-DOS ?  Or of any similarly powerful batch file
executors ?

--
| Gerald Bryan, Secretary     | "Seeking to bring peace to the War on |
| No More Drug War Foundation |  Drugs via controlled legalization &  |

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (02/27/90)

In article <360@tau-ceti.isc-br.com>, geraldb@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Gerald Bryan (Denver)) writes:
> Does anyone know of a batch file executor that looks like UNIX's Bourne
> shell but runs under MS-DOS ?  Or of any similarly powerful batch file
> executors ?

You might want to look at the MKS Toolkit (Korn Shell) or at Polytron's
PolyShell (modified Bourne Shell).

Mortice Kern Systems, Inc.
35 King Street North
Waterloo, Ontario N2J 2W9
Canada

519-884-2251

Polytron
1700 NW 167th Place
Beaverton, OR  97006

800-547-4000

Both packages are carried by programming-oriented discounters, and it would
be cheaper to buy that way.

It seems to me that I've seen a comparative review somewhere recently, but
I don't recollect where.

linco@eng.umd.edu (Sam Lin) (02/27/90)

In article <360@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> geraldb@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Gerald Bryan (Denver)) writes:
>Does anyone know of a batch file executor that looks like UNIX's Bourne
>shell but runs under MS-DOS ?  Or of any similarly powerful batch file
>executors ?

There was a recent posting of the source code for the Bourne shell,
ported from Minix to MS-DOS in either comp.sources.misc or
comp.sources.unix (I forgot which one).
       ///                               Sam C. Lin
      ///				 Internet: linco@eng.umd.edu
     /// /// ///|| /// /////// ////////	 UUCP: {ames,uunet}!eng.umd.edu!linco
    /// /// /// ||/// ///     ///  ///	 USmail:  5708 Wyngate Drive
   /// /// ///  |/// /////// ////////	          Bethesda, MD  20817
  ///					 ------------------------------------
 //////////     Are you wearing clean underwear?  Are you wearing underwear?

jmd@usenet.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) (02/28/90)

In article <360@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> geraldb@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Gerald Bryan (Denver)) writes:
>Does anyone know of a batch file executor that looks like UNIX's Bourne
>shell but runs under MS-DOS ?  Or of any similarly powerful batch file
>executors ?

sh_dos was recently posted to comp.sources.misc.  It's a DOS implementation
of the Minix sh shell.  Of course you'll have to get your own set of
Unix-like commands to go along with it, but these are pretty much
everywhere.

Jim

|  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,  |
| but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 |
|-------------------------------------------------------|

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/28/90)

>In article <360@tau-ceti.isc-br.com>, geraldb@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Gerald Bryan (Denver)) writes:
>> Does anyone know of a batch file executor that looks like UNIX's Bourne
>> shell but runs under MS-DOS ?  Or of any similarly powerful batch file
>> executors ?

The C/Utilities Toolchest from MIX Software, Inc. includes a very good Bourne
shell, along with over 40 Unix-like commands.  It costs $19.95, and you can
get the source code for the shell for $10 more.  Their address is:

Mix Software
1132 Commerce Drive
Richardson TX 75081
Tel: 1-800-333-0330

I have no connection with Mix.  I just bought the package and use it for
some of its commands, such as grep, cat, diff, and pr.  Actually you can
set up a very Unix-like environment if you use the shell.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Cohen) (03/06/90)

In article <2659@alpha.cam.nist.gov>, koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E.
Koontz X5180) writes:
> It seems to me that I've seen a comparative review somewhere recently, but
> I don't recollect where.

PC-Week 2/12/90 has a review of these shells...

David Cohen                      |    After all, life is futility
cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com             |    married to an illusion.
{world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!cohend   |    - Zippy the Pinhead
Data General Corporation, RTP, NC|