[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] stevie editor

braun@drivax.UUCP (Karl T. Braun (kral)) (03/04/90)

Ok, I admit it.  I'm a vi junkie.  I need a decent programming editor for the
PC (running DOS) and I just can't bring myself to learn EMACS, or pay for Brief
(or whatever the popular programming editor for DOS is nowadays).  On top of
that, MKS's vi doesn't seem to be working to well, so that means it's time to
sharpen up the compiler and get to work.

I trapped version 3.10 of the stevie editor about a year ago, but before I get
started, is there a more recent version of this laying around somewhere?

(Other suggestions are also welcome, but since this kind of thing is asked
every month, I'm not holding my breath for some new revealing responses).

Thanx to all,

--
kral 	408/647-6112			...amdahl!drivax!braun
"To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life;

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (03/04/90)

In article <2PSFZ5W@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Karl T. Braun (kral)) writes:
>  On top of
> that, MKS's vi doesn't seem to be working to well,

I'd be very interested to hear what MKS' vi is doing wrong or badly for you.
I have had problems with earlier versions (not insurmountable) but the most
recent two versions I have received thru upgrades have been near-perfect!
I am referring to versions 2.2d and 3.1.

Are there some dragons lurking that I should know about?

--
Bruce Walker    ~    ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw    ~   isgtec!bmw@censor
"What is the mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind." -- Homer Simpson

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (03/06/90)

In article <294@isgtec.UUCP> bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:

>I'd be very interested to hear what MKS' vi is doing wrong or badly for you.
>I have had problems with earlier versions (not insurmountable) but the most
>recent two versions I have received thru upgrades have been near-perfect!
>I am referring to versions 2.2d and 3.1.

I'm using ver 2.3d of the toolkit.  Vi (and other programs) seem to want the
toolkit's shell under them.  My only *real* complaints are

1.	You have to be in the directory of the file you want to edit (eg,
	if you are in c:\subdir, and you type 'vi \autoexec.bat', you get
	some sort of error (I don't recall what it is  right now).

	This is somewhere between a minor and a major annoyance.

2.	It doesn't speak through the nnansi driver I'm using.

	I don't really know how much of an annoyance this is yet.

3.	It's in black and white.  While this isn't a real show stopper,
	it's rather hard on the eyes that have been staring at a color
	screen for a while.

--
kral 	408/647-6112			...amdahl!drivax!braun
"To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life;
 To fight is to leave my bones exposed in the desert waste"
		- ancient chinese poem

suew@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Sue Wood) (03/07/90)

/ hpnmdla:comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer / braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) / 11:08 am  Mar  5, 1990 /

I too am a vi fan.  I used to have the mks toolkit running on my pc
but since I bought my 386 I haven't used it.  (I'm checking out another
shell).  However, I miss vi too much so I wanted to run it on top of this
other shell (4DOS by the way).  It will run by it gives me file errors.
Can't remember the exact error message.  Is this what you're referin
to in the next line:

>I'm using ver 2.3d of the toolkit.  Vi (and other programs) seem to want the
>toolkit's shell under them.  My only *real* complaints are
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>1.	You have to be in the directory of the file you want to edit (eg,
>	if you are in c:\subdir, and you type 'vi \autoexec.bat', you get
>	some sort of error (I don't recall what it is  right now).

I don't recall having this problem!!  I'c categorize this as a major
annoyance.

>3.	It's in black and white.  While this isn't a real show stopper,
>	it's rather hard on the eyes that have been staring at a color
>	screen for a while.

Here's another question.  I'd like to integrate vi into the MS QuickC
environment.  Do you know if this is possible?  Ever tried it?

Sue

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (03/07/90)

I just last weekend posted an updated Stevie 3.69a to comp.sources.misc.
Should appear soon (it's a moderated group, and well worth the wait for
moderation).

In article <0MWF6WC@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:

>1.	You have to be in the directory of the file you want to edit (eg,
>	if you are in c:\subdir, and you type 'vi \autoexec.bat', you get
>	some sort of error (I don't recall what it is  right now).
  Stevie doesn't have this problem.  The new version, in addition,
  recognizes environment variables (e.g. $HOME) in file names.

>2.	It doesn't speak through the nnansi driver I'm using.
  Stevie uses NANSI.SYS.  In 3.69a, (1) it sets raw mode for BLAZING
  speed under NANSI.SYS, or (2) you can compile it to use the BIOS
  directly.

>3.	It's in black and white.  While this isn't a real show stopper,
>	it's rather hard on the eyes that have been staring at a color
>	screen for a while.
  In 3.69a, color is a "set" variable.  My favorite is 30 (bright yellow
  on blue.

I have no idea whether MKS vi has the problems Kral mentions, or if
he just hasn't found the configuration it calls for.  But I can speak
for Stevie's capabilities.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|

dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) (03/09/90)

In article <0MWF6WC@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:

>1.	You have to be in the directory of the file you want to edit (eg,
>	if you are in c:\subdir, and you type 'vi \autoexec.bat', you get
>	some sort of error (I don't recall what it is  right now).

try typeing vi /autoexec.bat

>3.	It's in black and white.  While this isn't a real show stopper,

you can   set attrib  in your ex.rc file

ggdavis@tiger.waterloo.edu (Greg Davis) (03/09/90)

In article <4523@pegasus.ATT.COM> dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:
>I just last weekend posted an updated Stevie 3.69a to comp.sources.misc.

>In article <0MWF6WC@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:
>>1.	You have to be in the directory of the file you want to edit (eg,
>>	if you are in c:\subdir, and you type 'vi \autoexec.bat', you get
>>	some sort of error (I don't recall what it is  right now).
>  Stevie doesn't have this problem.
mks vi doesn't have this problem for me.  I can use "vi /file" or
"vi \file".  Maybe you are getting a temporary file error.  Try one of
the following:
	set TMPDIR=c:/tmp
	switch -  (works for DOS 2.x or 3.x)
	set dir=c:\\tmp\\ in ex.rc file (if switch is / or DOS 4.x)
	set SHELL=c:/bin/sh.exe in autoexec.bat

>>2.	It doesn't speak through the nnansi driver I'm using.
>  Stevie uses NANSI.SYS.  In 3.69a, (1) it sets raw mode for BLAZING
>  speed under NANSI.SYS, or (2) you can compile it to use the BIOS
>  directly.
mks vi writes directly to the screen for speed.  I bet you nnansi.sys
does hardware scrolling and thus shifts the screen address.

>>3.	It's in black and white.
>  In 3.69a, color is a "set" variable.
see vipc(5), set attrib=

The above comments are for vi in the MKS Toolkit version 3.1.  I'm a
satisfied user.  I think version 2.3 didn't have problem #1.